944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

89 944 turbo "S" part out

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011 | 03:37 AM
zentrose
Instructor

I have been driving the car around a lot now. Its terribly slow when it isn't above 4,000 rpms. You really have to work to make the car fast on tight sections. Even then, my camry could outpace this car on a backroad. A lot of it is due to the kumho asx tires that came with the wheels I picked up recently. Once I get a decent set of tires on this car it will hopefully be a different story. Good tires and a few suspension tweaks can do great things for handling.

I guess I am now thinking it needs to be modified for more power as well (here we go).

On the positive side of things, the brakes have a very nice feel. Also the fuel economy seems to be very good which is a nice plus. The best part about the car is definitely the braking system. It is nice to have a proper big brake system (Or medium brakes I guess since they aren't the biggest ones out there). They are noticeably more effective than the brakes were on my S2.

Last edited by zentrose; 05-30-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 05-30-2011 | 12:17 PM
slap929
Pro

As fast as your camry... Sad day.
Old 05-30-2011 | 12:37 PM
elargentino
Banned

Very obviously something is wrong with your car.

With what means have you checked the boost pressure, other than the factory guage?
Old 05-30-2011 | 05:40 PM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by elargentino
Very obviously something is wrong with your car.

With what means have you checked the boost pressure, other than the factory guage?
I haven't checked. Just did acceleration runs to see where I'm at. I hit sixty in 5.8 seconds with a pretty solid launch. I don't want to do that again. Camrys are faster these days with just tires!

What do I need to check it? Should I get an aftermarket boost gauge? After I address this boost issue, what are your thoughts on modifications? I am thinking about the lindsey instant rwhp kit with a cat delete. Will this be detrimental to my engine in any way?

This is my weekend car. It needs to at least be a little more punchy than my daily driver to warrant me keeping it.
Old 05-30-2011 | 05:45 PM
zentrose
Instructor

heres a clip of my camry so we dont turn this into a silly debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOt_L...el_video_title

Tell me how I should mod my 944 please!
Old 05-30-2011 | 06:03 PM
elargentino
Banned

Originally Posted by zentrose
heres a clip of my camry so we dont turn this into a silly debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOt_L...el_video_title

Tell me how I should mod my 944 please!
Hmmmm interesting comparison..

A slightly modded 951 that is running correctly should leave an SS Camaro a couple bus-lengths behind, nevermind a Camry.

Probably about 50 or so videos on youtube on this subject. You cannot begin to mod your 951 until you ensure it is running correctly - yours isn't.
From what you have said here, I think you are lacking the knowledge necessary for even rudimetary test procedures, so this may be an uphill battle for you.

Nice car, though.

I would happy to help you if you are serious...you may PM me.
Old 05-30-2011 | 08:12 PM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by elargentino
Hmmmm interesting comparison..

A slightly modded 951 that is running correctly should leave an SS Camaro a couple bus-lengths behind, nevermind a Camry.

Probably about 50 or so videos on youtube on this subject. You cannot begin to mod your 951 until you ensure it is running correctly - yours isn't.
From what you have said here, I think you are lacking the knowledge necessary for even rudimetary test procedures, so this may be an uphill battle for you.

Nice car, though.

I would happy to help you if you are serious...you may PM me.
1.Yes silly comparison, I know. I like to speak from personal experience, that is why I brought in my daily driver.

2. What should my car be accelerating like? What leads you to believe there is a problem? I mentioned that I have tires that cant hook very well. I thought 5.8 seconds was pretty respectable for this car. I'm sure some sticky rubber could probably shave a good amount of time off of that.

3. 951 vs camaro. That's awesome if it is true. I would like to get to that point. My 944 is not 'lightly modded' it is completely stock right now. Personally, I believe the camaro is a much better car for straight lines. A weekend head/cam install turns them into monsters.

4. Yes, I would like help addressing the issue. I have never owned a vehicle with forced induction. I am definitely new to this subject. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-30-2011 | 09:12 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Dude, if your camry is outpacing you on backroads, you don't know how to drive. I'll agree that even average boring cars are coming with more hp lately, but they're also coming with more lbs. If 0-60 runs are what you like and your camry is more fun on a backroad, maybe the 951 isn't the car for you.
Old 05-30-2011 | 09:37 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Don't see a "lightly modded" 951 pull bus lengths on an SS. In fact, I recently ran into a 5th gen on the highway, probably an auto I think, and was dead even from ~50-120. Autothority stage 2 w/MBC @16psi, 2.5'' test pipe, Tial 38mm, stock K26/6. 6 speed would have pulled away from me for sure. Similar result against my brother's exhaust-only LS1 Trans Am.

But I get your point, with light mods, a 951 can be made to go pretty fast. Fast enough for a 25 year old car to keep up with a brand new LS3 powered boat. At stock boost levels they sort of have 80's performance. 220 HP at the crank isn't what it was anymore.
Old 05-30-2011 | 10:23 PM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by odb812
Dude, if your camry is outpacing you on backroads, you don't know how to drive. I'll agree that even average boring cars are coming with more hp lately, but they're also coming with more lbs. If 0-60 runs are what you like and your camry is more fun on a backroad, maybe the 951 isn't the car for you.
Its modified. I went a little overboard with my camry. Full coilover suspension and proper tires. Its really fun for daily driving. I wouldn't say the camry is more fun than the 944 though.

It has little to do with driving ability. The camry has higher levels of lateral acceleration because of the tires and suspension I put on it. After getting damping, alignment, and ride height dialed in the camry proved to be pretty capable.

Now If I throw on some rs3s on my 944. i have little doubt it would be faster through the backroads.

I found a good youtube video on addressing boost issues. I am going to address any leaks before I modify my 944.
Old 05-30-2011 | 10:25 PM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by onspeed
Don't see a "lightly modded" 951 pull bus lengths on an SS. In fact, I recently ran into a 5th gen on the highway, probably an auto I think, and was dead even from ~50-120. Autothority stage 2 w/MBC @16psi, 2.5'' test pipe, Tial 38mm, stock K26/6. 6 speed would have pulled away from me for sure. Similar result against my brother's exhaust-only LS1 Trans Am.

But I get your point, with light mods, a 951 can be made to go pretty fast. Fast enough for a 25 year old car to keep up with a brand new LS3 powered boat. At stock boost levels they sort of have 80's performance. 220 HP at the crank isn't what it was anymore.
Thats pretty cool! Once I make sure I don't have any boost issues as suggested by the other user. Where do you think I should start with engine modding?
Old 05-30-2011 | 10:32 PM
zentrose
Instructor

I meant to say with proper tires, Im sure my 944 could pull away from the camry in a tight section.

I didn't mean to stir up an arguement. My apologies. I am just comparing my 944 to the other car that I own.
Old 05-30-2011 | 10:47 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zentrose
Thats pretty cool! Once I make sure I don't have any boost issues as suggested by the other user. Where do you think I should start with engine modding?
Depends on how much you're looking to spend. A simple pseudo-MAF conversion + chips @ 16psi, cat bypass, and exhaust wastegate will probably run you close to a grand, used, and it'd be fairly fun to drive. You'd be looking at roughly 260 rwhp, 300 rwtq.
Old 05-30-2011 | 10:54 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Depends on how much you're looking to spend. A simple pseudo-MAF conversion + chips @ 16psi, cat bypass, and exhaust wastegate will probably run you close to a grand, used, and it'd be fairly fun to drive. You'd be looking at roughly 260 rwhp, 300 rwtq.
OR... you could get a NEW true MAF kit, plus chips, plus MAP, plus injectors, run 18 PSI, and make ~310HP for approx. $1130 (on the stock K26/8)

Last edited by Mighty Shilling; 05-30-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2011 | 11:13 PM
zentrose
Instructor

Ok sounds good. Have you experienced any reliability issues with the increased boost?

Also, did your fuel economy take a significant hit? I'm sure it consumes more fuel when you get into the increased boost, but when you are just cruising does it still get good mpg?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 89 944 turbo "S" part out