Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bosch HV fuel pump direct fit?! Ha!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

And that link makes no mention of the fact that the HV pump has a larger barb on it than stock, making it nearly impossible to put into the stock hose from the fuel tank.

Don't know about the 928GTS pump or what it's rated at.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

Well, went out these this morning with my neighbor. I grabbed the hose to show him what I wanted him to do and the damn thing slid all the way into place! Course the factory hose clamp was too small, so I had to make a quick run to the hardware store for another larger one, but the job is done!

Car is back on the ground and it does run and as a bonus it isn't leaking fuel, so all the connections are tight.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Next time get the Walbro GSL392, not a direct fit either but very close and at $110 you can't beat it!
The Walbro cost and spec looks really good. Did you change any of the wiring to the pump? I see it is rated at around 10 amps at 3 bar pressure. Not sure what the factory unit current draw is put I can check it. I am running E85 and though getting a bigger capacity pump was in order. I just ordered a install kit with the pump for $110....great price.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:18 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walbro is junk you get what you pay for it is no match for a 044 especially at elavated fuel pressure. Saving a hundred bucks but blowing a ten grand motor....Rennlist FTW.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agreed, the 044 spec is much better then the Walbro at elevated pressures and flow rates. I am running E85 so will need about a 30% flow rate increase. So far, the stock pump is doing the job. So, is this a specification issue or a product reliability issues? My search did show up any product issue with the Walbro. Is there one??
Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Walbro just fails, hands on experience, if you open one up they are made like a plastic toy. Are they rated for E85 ? Even Bosch rerates the 044 for E85 use.

Anyway I would never use the Walbro for E85, that is going to be guaranteed instafail IMO.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Agreed, the 044 spec is much better then the Walbro at elevated pressures and flow rates. I am running E85 so will need about a 30% flow rate increase. So far, the stock pump is doing the job. So, is this a specification issue or a product reliability issues? My search did show up any product issue with the Walbro. Is there one??
Hi Brian,

I have run a Walbro GSL-392 pump in my 951 since 2004 without any problems and without changes in the electrical system (maybe I changed the terminal size for better fitment). I do run the OEM 2.5 bar FPR.

Last year I installed an identical pump in my Espada, which had been sitting too long with the gas being converted to tar, gumming up the Bosch pump. The Walbro pump started out being noisy (whining), but got quiet after some hours of running. I assign the noise to inadequate fuel system cleaning, rather than a temporary defect in the pump. Here I run a 3 bar FPR.

Laust

PS I do not know about E85 compatibility.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
Hi Brian,

I have run a Walbro GSL-392 pump in my 951 since 2004 without any problems and without changes in the electrical system (maybe I changed the terminal size for better fitment). I do run the OEM 2.5 bar FPR.

Last year I installed an identical pump in my Espada, which had been sitting too long with the gas being converted to tar, gumming up the Bosch pump. The Walbro pump started out being noisy (whining), but got quiet after some hours of running. I assign the noise to inadequate fuel system cleaning, rather than a temporary defect in the pump. Here I run a 3 bar FPR.

Laust

PS I do not know about E85 compatibility.
When I replaced my stock pump with a Walbro I made sure to flush the tank and install a new screen before installing the FP. I reinstalled it back into the rubber mount the original was in, I can't hear it in the cabin, and haven't heard it, ever, even outside the car.

To the person that asked if you need to do anything to the wiring, yes you do. A simple snip and crimp job on the two terminals. The posts on the Walbro are slightly larger in diameter to what is originally on the car. The fittings to do this were all in the install kit. The pump says to install a 20A fuse, but i think the wiring is too small to run 20A through so I left the stock 15A one in there. Looking at the Flow/Current graph, around 3Bar it's ~8A. 15Amps is equal to 110Psi and 65GPH, which is more flow than I will ever need.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I think I will try one and see how it works out. Laust, I need to drop you a PM and see how things worked out.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I've not had any problems with the walbro on my race car, but I'm not running E85.

Quick Reply: Bosch HV fuel pump direct fit?! Ha!