Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

(UPDATE) Last year for the emissions sniffer (FAILED)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:40 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas thing/25 years.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
Put your cat back on and you'll pass. If you need one, I have a 951 stock cat sitting in my garage. Pay me shipping and packaging and it's yours.
thanks for the offer...gonna try and get by without doing this
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

thanks Greg...got some great PM's with links and everything that taught me more about the FQS, etc.

Originally Posted by gregeast
Not sure of the settings for the chipset you're running but on the stock chips (and my Vitesse chipboard) you add or substract timing and fuel with the FQS on the DME. My understanding is that retarding the timing will help with NOX.

I'd suggest posting up your numbers, there are those on the board far more knowledgeable than I on how to tune for emissions but they'll need to know the numbers to help.

This site has a good write-up on FQS settings, click on the link in the upper left.

Edit: I lied, you can pull timing but not advance it with the FQS
Old 04-22-2011, 10:43 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone who sent PM's...will be back on it next week.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

Had the same issue before I parked my car. Spent about 750$ or so on tuning, o2 sensors and I dont recall what else with a mechanic that was not emissions certified . Long story short , I recall hearing that if I used a state certified emissions tech and could produce a receipt the state would give me a sticker due to my attempts to solve the problem.
I cant remember the min required to spend on attempts to fix the prob, think it was around 250 ? Anyhow, ya may want to check into that. Best of Luck !
Also, I know you can get monthly tags for around 20 $ a month " paper plates " at you local tax office.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Tried adding fuel and pulling timing via FQS. Only lowered NOX a couple hundred.

Tried some toluene and even that voodoo crap they sell at AutoZone (I know, I know).

Tried going to a non-emissions county per a PM (no...had to have a County address)

I work around techs...they are all afraid to utilize the tried and true second tailpipe (and won't pressure them to do so).

NOTE: I only have seven more months before the car is exempt in Texas.

Now see my next post for my experience/discussions with the State

Last edited by racerxrick; 05-04-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I did some research and there is a "Low Mileage Exemption" in Texas for failed emissions. Basically if you've spent $100 and drive (if I recall) fewer than 5k a year you can get an expemption.

So...I've left messages with a local compliance office, never an answer. So, I drove there this morning.

A grinning inspector came out (the kind of grin that says I'm not going to do anything you want me to do).

I explained my situation (two failed tests, attempts to repair, car expempt in 7 months, fourth vehicle rarely driven, etc.).

The guy responds ithat i should "park it for seven months." I stated that despite the car being a fourth vehicle I still wished to drive on occasion.

He then responded "well you could just drive it some around your neighborhood" Why not...I'll bite, "well isn't that illegal as well sir?"

I then realized he thought I was uninformed (i.e "ignorant"). So I thought I'd play along some more until he buried himself.

"Sir, I still wish to drive this vehicle for enjoyment on a limited basis...is there another option?" Nope...he didn't offer a solution at all. Several other smart remarks were about it. In fact he seemed quite amused with the power he felt he had over me AND my car.

I let him get a little deeper then politely informed him that I had performed my own research into state laws concerning emissions testing USING THE DPS WEBSITE! I refrained from really giving the smart *** a piece of my mind...on the off chance he would be the one granting the expemption!

He then started to turn his back everytime he told me what I needed to do. Then when I pulled out all forms and documentations he argued with me. You can't charge labor, etc. I informed him that i was only obligated for $100 in repairs and achieved that with the purchase of a new o2 sensor alone.

Finally when he gave in he was NOT willing to meet further at that time. "You will need to set an appointment." *******! THEY WERE NOT BUSY AT ALL!

I set an appointment HOWEVER I will contact another office across town as I will not want to deal with this government red tape smart *** dickweed.

Rant off..
Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does inspection have to be done in the county the car is registered in? If not, you could just drive to a rural country where there's no sniffer testing.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

tried that...^^

Originally Posted by racerxrick
Tried going to a non-emissions county per a PM (no...had to have a County address)
Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxrick
I did some research and there is a "Low Mileage Exemption" in Texas for failed emissions. Basically if you've spent $100 and drive (if I recall) fewer than 5k a year you can get an expemption.

So...I've left messages with a local compliance office, never an answer. So, I drove there this morning.

A grinning inspector came out (the kind of grin that says I'm not going to do anything you want me to do).

I explained my situation (two failed tests, attempts to repair, car expempt in 7 months, fourth vehicle rarely driven, etc.).

The guy responds ithat i should "park it for seven months." I stated that despite the car being a fourth vehicle I still wished to drive on occasion.

He then responded "well you could just drive it some around your neighborhood" Why not...I'll bite, "well isn't that illegal as well sir?"

I then realized he thought I was uninformed (i.e "ignorant"). So I thought I'd play along some more until he buried himself.

"Sir, I still wish to drive this vehicle for enjoyment on a limited basis...is there another option?" Nope...he didn't offer a solution at all. Several other smart remarks were about it. In fact he seemed quite amused with the power he felt he had over me AND my car.

I let him get a little deeper then politely informed him that I had performed my own research into state laws concerning emissions testing USING THE DPS WEBSITE! I refrained from really giving the smart *** a piece of my mind...on the off chance he would be the one granting the expemption!

He then started to turn his back everytime he told me what I needed to do. Then when I pulled out all forms and documentations he argued with me. You can't charge labor, etc. I informed him that i was only obligated for $100 in repairs and achieved that with the purchase of a new o2 sensor alone.

Finally when he gave in he was NOT willing to meet further at that time. "You will need to set an appointment." *******! THEY WERE NOT BUSY AT ALL!

I set an appointment HOWEVER I will contact another office across town as I will not want to deal with this government red tape smart *** dickweed.

Rant off..

That inspector butthole stinks. I swear about a good third of our state employees right here in Texas need to get their asses fired. Or maybe just be out working, really working, on a road or road clean up crew. I had to make a couple of trips to Austin ... but that is another story. If the new reps in Austin dont fire these guys azz I will be voting to fire them.

All of this is the EXACT reason I bought a 1986 951 last year. Of course my inspection last year did not get done. Why? Because I was experiencing the joy of Porsche ownership. Working on the car. Cubic meters of money spent.

It was easy and only $14 this year though. So your day is coming .
Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Rick, you've finally found a good reason for me to own an 86! Mine has the deep dish wheel option, airbag delete package, and the "weak hubs" options, too.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:49 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

you guys are funny..

Quick Reply: (UPDATE) Last year for the emissions sniffer (FAILED)