Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

question 2.7 Sleeved block

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
If interested, go to their website and check out their Porsche section. You will not see the 944/951 listed, but they will custom make whatever you want. Garrity and US Chrome recommended JE based on their success with projects done by US Chrome like mine. I was good with that, as their one year warranty was based on me tracking the car.
I know they will make custom whatever I want, but it comes down to price, and end result that the consumer is looking for. For me, personally, I don't like my engine sounding like a diesel when I first start it up. Maybe that's personal preference, but it was a point I stuck to. In my statement about the extra material in regards to valve reliefs for domestic engines, they will machine the bottom of the piston flat for an additional charge...seems silly. There are plenty of successful builds out there with JE pistons, I am by no means arguing that fact, but when I had a choice with which pistons to use, I chose a different route.

For informational purposes, my engine has Darton MID wet sleeves.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:02 AM
elargentino
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I thought the 2.7 crank was the same as the 2.5 L. crank. The 3.0 stroked the 2.7 105mm bore to get to the 3.0 l displacement. I am running a 2.5 L 100mm bore with a 3.0 L crank that results in a little less than a 2.8 L engine. Please let me know where I am wrong in this.
Right on all counts - where are you confused?
late block + early crank = (factory) 2.7
early block + late crank = 2.8
late block + late crank = 3.0
early block + early crank = 2.5
Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 AM
944CS
Drifting

what sleeves are those? They don't look like flanged sleeves. Why aren't they?

JE's cannot be used on the alusil bore. I think that has been established.

Who know's what the cam of the JE's is compared to let's say the Wossners....maybe Chris White can chime in?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edit post deleted.

Last edited by Paulyy; 04-21-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944CS
what sleeves are those? They don't look like flanged sleeves. Why aren't they?

JE's cannot be used on the alusil bore. I think that has been established.

Who know's what the cam of the JE's is compared to let's say the Wossners....maybe Chris White can chime in?
Broadfoot racing does use JE pistons that are Chrome (not wheel or bumper chrome) plated when used in high boost applications in stock bores. This process is similar to the NiCom treatment. It's not a coating, the new chrome alloy becomes the surface. But racing motors are used to being torn down at least annually.

In stock bores, I'd stick with Mahle.

http://www.broadfootracing.com/944%20Parts%20Engine.htm
Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I know they will make custom whatever I want, but it comes down to price, and end result that the consumer is looking for. For me, personally, I don't like my engine sounding like a diesel when I first start it up. Maybe that's personal preference, but it was a point I stuck to. In my statement about the extra material in regards to valve reliefs for domestic engines, they will machine the bottom of the piston flat for an additional charge...seems silly. There are plenty of successful builds out there with JE pistons, I am by no means arguing that fact, but when I had a choice with which pistons to use, I chose a different route.

For informational purposes, my engine has Darton MID wet sleeves.
Darwin,

You know I'm wanting to meet with you when I'm in SLC. Trust me, my motor sounds nothing like my Duramax. Cold, hot, or on boost. Looking forward to seeing your car.

Don't understand your point.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

A couple of thoughts – (some form early posts on this thread!)
Lart’s 2.7 looks like a good find – but I would highly recommend checking the deck height of the sleeves, if not done right the dry sleeves have a tendency to sink after a couple of good heat cycles and act exactly like the Ebay poster noted. A skim cut on the bock surface will fix that (easy enough with the engine out of the car).
The rod length of a 2.5 (and 2.6 or 2.7) is the same as the 2.8 or 3.0 – unless they are going to try the really old school short rod stroker (and that went out of style with parachute pants!)

Nothing wrong with the head gasket mod to use a 3.0 gasket on a 2.5 – you need to add a little RTV around the ‘ear’. I still use this on Oringed heads because the Orings don’t work well with MLS gaskets.

With the price of a used scored block being quite low there is no reason to repair a cracked block with welding. Get a sound block from Lart or use MID sleeves (the stock cylinder is machined out so a typical crack is not a problem).

As for ‘other’ pistons – I have been using Wossners for quite a while now, I like the product and just as important I like the way the company works – they send me engineering drawings if full detail before making the piston. I can spec anything out – compression ratio, pin height, ring type and location, cam design, box or regular bridging, quench shape and even an Alusil compatible coating. ($1k for the custom designed pistons, pins and rings – a little extra for Alusil coating!)

The JE 2618 alloy pistons have a greater thermal expansion rate than the stock pistons and the 4032 alloy aftermarket pistons. In my many years of building engines I have found one pretty basic rule with sleeved motors – if you use a JE 2618 alloy pistons and don’t hear a little piston slap on start up then you are going to have issues when you run the engine hard. If the ambient temp is low it sounds worse. Under 50 degree air temps it should sound like a worn out Cummings for the first minute, the slap goes away as it warms up. Remember –this applies to sleeved engines – I have not used JEs in a Alusil bore.

And just in case anybody still has a question - the 2.7 engine IS a 3.0 block with a 2.5 crank in it.

The cam design on any custom piston should be exactly as the builder specs – I know that I spec out what I want. If you ask for ‘off the shelf’ designs from a piston manufacturer you will get whatever they feel like giving you. If you ask for a 944 piston from JE and don’t provide some exacting specs you will get a piston with the Chevy valve reliefs pockets still showing on the underside on the piston (as ‘Modded’ said!). That’s quite a few grams of wasted weight as well as some proof that the original forging was not intended for a 944….

Sorry for the disjointed answers…I am catching up – been too busy to do the daily Rennlist checks this week!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
A couple of thoughts – (some form early posts on this thread!)
Lart’s 2.7 looks like a good find – but I would highly recommend checking the deck height of the sleeves, if not done right the dry sleeves have a tendency to sink after a couple of good heat cycles and act exactly like the Ebay poster noted. A skim cut on the bock surface will fix that (easy enough with the engine out of the car).
The rod length of a 2.5 (and 2.6 or 2.7) is the same as the 2.8 or 3.0 – unless they are going to try the really old school short rod stroker (and that went out of style with parachute pants!)

Nothing wrong with the head gasket mod to use a 3.0 gasket on a 2.5 – you need to add a little RTV around the ‘ear’. I still use this on Oringed heads because the Orings don’t work well with MLS gaskets.

With the price of a used scored block being quite low there is no reason to repair a cracked block with welding. Get a sound block from Lart or use MID sleeves (the stock cylinder is machined out so a typical crack is not a problem).

As for ‘other’ pistons – I have been using Wossners for quite a while now, I like the product and just as important I like the way the company works – they send me engineering drawings if full detail before making the piston. I can spec anything out – compression ratio, pin height, ring type and location, cam design, box or regular bridging, quench shape and even an Alusil compatible coating. ($1k for the custom designed pistons, pins and rings – a little extra for Alusil coating!)

The JE 2618 alloy pistons have a greater thermal expansion rate than the stock pistons and the 4032 alloy aftermarket pistons. In my many years of building engines I have found one pretty basic rule with sleeved motors – if you use a JE 2618 alloy pistons and don’t hear a little piston slap on start up then you are going to have issues when you run the engine hard. If the ambient temp is low it sounds worse. Under 50 degree air temps it should sound like a worn out Cummings for the first minute, the slap goes away as it warms up. Remember –this applies to sleeved engines – I have not used JEs in a Alusil bore.

And just in case anybody still has a question - the 2.7 engine IS a 3.0 block with a 2.5 crank in it.

The cam design on any custom piston should be exactly as the builder specs – I know that I spec out what I want. If you ask for ‘off the shelf’ designs from a piston manufacturer you will get whatever they feel like giving you. If you ask for a 944 piston from JE and don’t provide some exacting specs you will get a piston with the Chevy valve reliefs pockets still showing on the underside on the piston (as ‘Modded’ said!). That’s quite a few grams of wasted weight as well as some proof that the original forging was not intended for a 944….

Sorry for the disjointed answers…I am catching up – been too busy to do the daily Rennlist checks this week!
Chris, the block is coming apart today, it's probably better to sell the bare block alone and let someone built the motor from scratch,

Second this is a 2.5L block sleeved to 2.7L?? 2.8L?? I am not sure now since I found documentation where the first owner described it as 2.8L, the bore dia is 105.5mm and I am not sure if it is a 3.L crank. It had a OEM steel flywheel lightened to 12lbs and stamped with a serial # and the flywheel has the similar # do you recognize this?
Attached Images    
Old 04-21-2011, 12:48 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Whoever identifies the stamped signature is the price winner, a guy already hinted this is a pre 2000 work, it's a balance engined.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Is it Vitesse? Typically these types of stamp marks are done to assign a numbering system to keep things together when taking them to the machine shop/cleaning/etc..... also, for future record keeping to verify what was done tot he components during modification in case of failure/tampering/etc....
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No, it starts with A and is not Anderson Motorssports
Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Andial?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mwc951
Andial?
Yes, it's andial
Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

So did they build the short block as well?
They are supposed to know their ****, aren't they?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mwc951
So did they build the short block as well?
They are supposed to know their ****, aren't they?
Short block is fine I believe the problem was head gasket & tuning

Quick Reply: question 2.7 Sleeved block