944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you think my rebuild cost will be

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011 | 11:20 AM
carlege
Drifting

I thought he had access to a dyno where he could monitor anything he needed? Atleast thats what i would have thought he would have done. Then after tuning it properly take it on the road?

When it comes down to it. Working car in broken car out. Sounds like someone dosent know his ****.

Ive followed your particular car from when the guy you bought it from had it and his story before that. It was a very low mile pristine example that fetched a pretty penny. There is no way your convincing me that the block was in some way weakened before this weekend. No way

Last edited by carlege; 04-18-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2011 | 11:49 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carlege
I thought he had access to a dyno where he could monitor anything he needed? Atleast thats what i would have thought he would have done. Then after tuning it properly take it on the road?

When it comes down to it. Working car in broken car out. Sounds like someone dosent know his ****.

Ive followed your particular car from when the guy you bought it from had it and his story before that. It was a very low mile pristine example that fetched a pretty penny. There is no way your convincing me that the block was in some way weakened before this weekend. No way
+1, kinda harsh but yeah there is that..maybe this time he'll do better!

PS Isn't the 2.8 the trick to tune one?
Old 04-18-2011 | 11:53 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

I agree Carlege. With such low miles that block wasn't damaged before I brought the car in. Was the HG on its last leg? Thats very possible, but there is no way a blown HG should crack a block.

The question is- Is my mechanic responsible for blowing my motor?
Old 04-18-2011 | 11:56 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Not sure about how tricky the 2.8 is to tune. I will be weighing all my options.

I'd rather have people be harsh and blunt than beat around the bush. I'm a New Yorker and prefer to be upfront.
Old 04-18-2011 | 12:14 PM
carlege
Drifting

cjacob813 i cant really answer that question with 100% certainty but what i would do is pick the brains of some of the more knowledgeable people on this site before i made a decision on your plan of action.

If it was me i would continue with the 2.5L route. Why? because when i will need help with my car more people would be familiar with the aspects of it.
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:02 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As the self proclaimed forensic expert on this forum having parted over 40+ 951's in the past 8 years, I honestly would say find a reputable builder that specializes in 951's. Honestly the crap that I have seen in engines supposedly performed by certified Porsche mechanics is laughable at best.
There is still a remanent of experts on this forum that I consider the best of the best ask for their advise. There is one guy here that has had at least 3 blown head gasket and I can tell you that the problem is not the car is the mechanic the dude is in FL.

Chris White
Dave Macgrath
Jeremy Himself
Sky
Duke
Darwing
Rogue
Tom
Blown
95one
doc
drz1
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:29 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Lart, I replied to your email you sent me. I'll take the 87 block. Please reply with a PayPal account or your preferred method of payment.
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:32 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by cjacob813
Not sure about how tricky the 2.8 is to tune. I will be weighing all my options.

I'd rather have people be harsh and blunt than beat around the bush. I'm a New Yorker and prefer to be upfront.
Okay I'll be blunt - it wasn't tuning. When it is tuning, other things fail. Head gaskets, rods, and pistons. You've been running with a cracked cylinder, and only discovered it when the head gasket blew, which was caused by the cracked cylinder.

Funny, this is the third block about which I've seen/heard/read being cracked in the past month or so. Two on here, and a third belonging to a friend of mine who tracks his car. It is E-stock, meaning stock chips and stock turbo.

If you want my professional* opinion (which may be wrong, but obviously I don't think it is), what you have experienced is a fatigue failure. Aluminum fatigues over time. Perhaps you have a block that had a spot with more porosity or other factors. Maybe your mods have put on a lot of stress on the engine. But I would bet that it was cracked before you took it in, just not enough to have issues. The crack was in all likelihood the cause of the head gasket failure. That's what happened with Rick's car, too. Thought he blew a head gasket, but when he pulled the head, he discovered it was a cracked cylinder.

*if you want "credentials," let me know.
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:39 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

67King- Thank you for the post. I appreciate bluntness over anything else. Your theory contradicts everything anyone else has said in this thread
Old 04-18-2011 | 03:26 PM
George D
Drifting

http://www.uschrome.com/cylinder_repair.html

Steel sleeves are not the only way to make your block stronger. Garrity may even have a few 2.5 deck plates left.
Old 04-18-2011 | 05:35 PM
Darwantae951

Your build sounds similar to mine. I used a 3L block for a base, but I chose the Darton sleeves with Wossner pistons and Puater rods as well. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
Old 04-18-2011 | 05:52 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

It will cost you at least 50% than you expect. No project I have ever started with the 951 come less than 50% of budget. ALso, once you have it that far apart, there will be the "while I am in there" things. It all adds up (and quickly).

-Dana
Old 04-18-2011 | 06:34 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Dana- I told my mechanic I want an out the door price on the rebuild which includes tuning and a warranty and he agreed. It will either be a 2.5 or a 2.680 (most say 2.7) sleeved motor.
Old 04-18-2011 | 07:11 PM
slap929
Pro

if you are interested there is a s2 motor for sale in atlanta. I have seen it a few time on criagslist. This this truly out of left field. Just throwing that out there if you are still looking for a motor. Adding the turbo to the motor is a hard thing to do but I thought I saw something about you needing parts from a 2.7 L. I might now be talking out my ***... Anyway, sorry to hear this happened to you and hope that you get it all sorted out. When you do get it running, I would love to see what all had been done.
Old 04-18-2011 | 08:46 PM
hansman
Instructor

take what you think it will cost and triple it

Quick Reply: What do you think my rebuild cost will be