New Clutch and KEP 1, slave problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch and KEP 1, slave problem

Hello All,

I've got my clutchnet sprung and KEP 1 installed. I am having a hard time seating the torque tube all the way in. I decided to bolt the clutch slave into position, thinking that engaging the clutch would allow me to insert the torque tube in place.

I noticed the piston on the slave was extended, no problem, I was able to lift the pedal off the floor ( don't know how it got there) and retract the piston enough to bolt the slave into the bellhousing.

Now, my clutch pedal is almost to the floor before I get any engagement, and the pedal won't retract on its own. Should I bleed the slave? With the pedal up, I can physically press on the clutch pivot fork cup and press the slave piston in, then it presses back out a little.

Any ideas? Please help.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, if I recall correctly that's what I did. Bled it enough so that I'd have pedal pressure then fiddled with the torque tube as someone pressed the clutch down.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 AM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Got a power bleeder, the type that uses an air compressor, because the hand pumped one produced 0 results.

Porsche 1 - Me 0

I am stumped. I have the power bleeder attached to the bleed valve. New fluid bottle connected to the brake fluid reservoir. I crack the bleed valve, with power bleeder pulling full vac...nothing. Depress the slave shaft, and a drop spurts out....that's it. It makes no difference if the clutch pedal is down, up, or if I am pressing in on the slave shaft in any of those configurations....nothing.

I put heavy grease around the threads of the bleed valve, which didn't work, I do notice that the bleed valve is somewhat loose, maybe that is the source of my loss of vacuum? Either I am not drawing enough vac, or there is no fluid reaching the slave cylinder. What the H?
Old 04-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Just got a bug sprayer from wal-mart, $8. Put 2L of brake fluid in and pumped that SOB up like it was a super soaker. Took the spray nozzle off and put a hose on the end, from my pressure bleeder kit. (All it was good for in the end...spare parts) Tested it and got a nice steady flow, no air. I reverse bled through the bleed valve on the slave.

Hit it again with pedal down, bleed valve open, spray. Closed the valve lifted the pedal, lather, rinse and repeat. Now, pressing on the clutch fork cup... I can feel that the slave shaft seems firm, like the slave is full of fluid. The pedal still drops to the floor, I will have to continue the battle in the morning.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Slider 951
8th Gear

Check to see if your master cyl piston is stuck in the bore. If it is stuck partway downbore (or all the way) the fluid port from the res. will be blocked and you wont be able to bleed the system.(in either direction) If you do find that the piston is stuck and you can't persuade it back into its normal position,
it's probably time for a new master, slave, and line. Even if you bleed your system every year, the seals and other rubber parts degrade over time and need to be replaced.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Victory is MINE!!!! I finally figured it out! The previous owner had capped off the supply line from the reservoir to the master cylinder, and put a small reservoir dedicated to the master and slave. I kept wondering what the heck it was, and why the fluid level wouldn't change. I noticed that there was a rubber insert, and I tried pulling on it. To my surprise it came out only to show me a dry reservoir!!! I burped it and reverse bled, and even two-man bled it until I had a little resistance in the pedal. I hooked up my compressor powered bleeder and sucked out all the old fluid, and air...just like I had always hoped to. Now, I have an awesome feeling clutch. AMAZING. I can't wait to get the tranny in and car running!!!!!!@#$#%#$%^$%^$@!!!!!!! Thanks to an injury....This has been an off and on 1.5 yr nightmare!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Thank you thank you EVERYBODY for your advice and assistance.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sometimes PO stories make me scratch my head... Congrats!

Quick Reply: New Clutch and KEP 1, slave problem