Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

rear hatch seal bad? - water in cubbies

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 06:48 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post rear hatch seal bad? - water in cubbies

I get 3" of water in my rear cubby areas when I wash the car, or in a heavy rain.. my sunroof drains aren't clogged, so what is happening?

There is a tube that runs in the cubbies on each side. Is this supposed to run into the rubber grommet? Because when I have it running into the grommet, I get tons of water in there and it has no where to go.. when I unplug the tube, it drains out the grommet... I am assuming this is the tubing from the sunroof, and it should run to the grommet and directly outside of the car... so then where is all this other water coming from??

Can I assume it is from the rear hatch seal or what?
Old 06-26-2002, 09:01 AM
T951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem a few years ago. I replaced my hatch seal and the problem went away.

I believe you need to keep the holes open. The drain tubes are from the rear hatch lock area, and simply drain into the cubbies, and should drain out the hole. Mine are not inserted into the hole. ( Although when I first got the car, I did insert them with the same results as you).

When I replaced my hatch seal, I noticed my car got quiter inside, and it didn't squeak at all.

Good luck,

T.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:49 PM
Flight_951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]The drain tubes are from the rear hatch lock area, and simply drain into the cubbies, and should drain out the hole. Mine are not inserted into the hole<hr></blockquote>

The drain tubes should be inserted into the rubber grommets in the cubbies and actually poking out the bottom under the car. The cubbies are a good storage place for the sunroof bag among other things but wouldn't be so good if it collected water. Other points of entry for the water are the tailight clusters (tighten the round plastic nuts on the back of each if loose) and the rear hatch receivers (check drain tubes leading from receivers to bottom of car). Pull the rear hatch carpeting out to get a good view of everything. Good luck.

Quick Reply: rear hatch seal bad? - water in cubbies