Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Performance ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 07:10 PM
FASTFWD951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Performance ignition question

I just had my flywheel resurfaced and chopped, got about 5.5 pounds off of the original weight, however, to do this, the performance Porsche race shop stated they would have to cut beyond the trigger ignition trigger reference studs, therefore, making the factory ignition null and void. They stated that I would need to go with an aftermarket such as MSD 6 etc... so I could set my own ignition advance and have the capability of retarding as turbo builds. I didn't mind this and told them to go ahead, since, I planned on going with an MSD anyways, and, I have a spare flywheel incase this doesn't work out. Anyone here have any input as to which ignition I should use, and, what to set it at. Any of you guys here that have shops and sell ignitions that can do this, I would also be interested.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:04 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's good shops, then there's bad shops, and then there's CHOP SHOPS.

Someone really did a number on you.

Last time I looked, The MSD 6 cannot control timing at all. It needs to be triggered by some sort of ECU/Distributor. Now you have chopped off your triggering what are you going to trigger the system with. Another wheel?

All this work to save a little more on the Flywheel. Put the old one back on, get the Guru EFI system, and go see Jenny Craig.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:29 PM
phlip
Racer

I had my stock flywheel cut down. Only one of the allen screws is necessary to make the car run. The one that is closest to the pressure plate. This gives the signal to the reference sensor. The other sensor counts the teeth on the ring gear
Old 03-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not only does the flywheel trigger control ignition, it controls fuel as well. No way you can get the car to run without it...
Old 03-17-2003, 10:40 PM
FASTFWD951
Track Day

Well, there is one allen left, and it is the one closest to the flywheel, so, maybe it will work. As I said before, not a big deal because I have an extra, and I was only charged $45. to resurface, take off the weight, and balance because they took much longer than they stated (they said usually it would be $100.00). Thanks for the info, anymore info would always be helpful. Win some, loose some, hopefully I can get this to work, if not, I will ad this to my "live and learn" list.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:42 PM
FASTFWD951
Track Day

I meant, the one allen left is the one closest to the pressure plate.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:00 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've said this before and I'll say it again, we 951 owners don't have to "live and learn" anymore.

Open your eyes, there is really good information and people willing to help us now. No more of that old BS. Finally we can all get what we want, or a least know we can't afford it. Before we were all sold "it" whether it worked or it didn't at a price to suit us.

"THE BAR HAS BEEN RAISED"

Problem is, most of the so called "Tuners" out here don't even know it.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:09 AM
melted
Intermediate

Its not the 45 or even a hundred dollars that would bother me. Its how much time do you need to spend messing with some aftermarket system (and cost) to find out it might not work. Then all the friggin work and I mean work to change the flywheel back. Thats alot of labor, I would be positve I had a viable solution before assembly.

If I got it all back together and it didn't fly I think I might have a anuerism with all the MF'ing that would start flying out of my mouth.

Good luck let us know
Old 03-18-2003, 02:12 AM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

I don't think I'd want to "try to make it work" with a flywheel. You're talking about hours and hours to get it installed, only to find out you're F'ed and have to pull it all out and do it again.

M42: I agree. There are lots and lots of helpful people that will bend over backwards just to make things easier. Danno, Perry, Trev (PorscheG96), Skip. chances are one of these guys will help you out or answer a friendly question, and prevent you from spending $$$ that you don't have to.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:24 AM
FASTFWD951
Track Day

All true, I would not put it together and try to make it work if I didn't get a response from someone who "has" made it work and could back it up. I am putting the engine together (a complete rebuild) and will be ready for the flywheel by friday. Again, if I can't confirm that someone has done it (someone that has a trustworthy reputation of course) I will be using my stock back up flywheel. This rebuild has had my 951 down for 3 months now (little by little) and I sure do not want to take "anything" apart again once it is all together. Thanks to all for all the info. By the way, I need to clear my shelves of extra parts (many interior and engine parts), and will probably post in the classifieds or Ebay soon, meanwhile, anyone looking for anything, let me know, I might have and will be "extremely" reasonable.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:50 AM
phlip
Racer

When I had my flywmeel cut down I was concerned, just as you are, about the car not running. I was told the other allen screw was not needed by Chris Cervelli at Technodyne. I know everyone knows who he is and respects information and opinions. Dont believe me call him. I am not a "tuner". But I am an ASE certified master tech with 20 years experience. I work on german cars ( bmw, mercedes, porsche) everyday. If I say something work it will work.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:40 AM
TurboTim
Banned

You are fine. We shave the flywheels all the time and we end up cutting one of the tabs off. The ignition will still work fine. You are good to go. Have fun with your new lightened flywheel.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:09 PM
FASTFWD951
Track Day

Phlip, Tim, thanks for the invaluable info. I feel much better, one thing though, originally there was 3 tabs, no only one (closest to the pressure plate). You guys stated that you cut one off and still have one, but, I cut 2 off, and still have one. No big deal? Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The forward-most two triggers on the flywheel are matched up to that third sensor on the bellhousing. If you trace the wire coming from that sensor, you'll notice that it's not plugged into anything. It's a test-connector used for diagnostics at the factory. I'm still trying to figure out what they could possibly be used for. One trigger is a couple of degrees before TDC and the other is position well after TDC. Any Bosch engineers around with insider info?

Quick Reply: Performance ignition question