Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Novice needs help-please

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 04:40 PM
rich951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Novice needs help-please

Hi, I'm from the U.K;- I own a 1987 951 which I love to bits- Had it for 3 years with no problems at all-just regulary service it and had new brake rotors/pads.
After finding this site and reading through some posts , I've decided I want to rune my car/increase hp although nothing too much.
an extra 50-75 hp I think.
My wastgate needs replacing as the spring has expired- so what wastgate upgrade and from what company can anyone recommend- Is a dual-port one a good idea.
Do I need to get chips as well and boost controller- I would get local tuning garage to do this as I dont really know what to do.
I want to keep the car relaible as well.
so I think I need:-
1. wastgate
2.chips
3.manual boost controller

Do i need a boost gauge - if so what for ( i know its to check boost level - but in practice what way ie do I stop accelerating when the gauge reaches a certain level.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its good to find like minded enthusiasts.

For anyone whos interested:
my car metallic black/black leather,power sports seats, genuine 17" 996 alloys,teardrop mirrors,968 rear hatch/spoiler. personal licence plate ,abs.
Thankyou very much for reading my post.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are on the right track. Do a search on the archives,,,it has been covered...all the way to boost gauge install.

Contact the following:

<a href="http://www.speedforceracing.com" target="_blank">www.speedforceracing.com</a>

<a href="http://www.lindseyracing.com" target="_blank">www.lindseyracing.com</a>

<a href="http://www.paragonproducts.com" target="_blank">www.paragonproducts.com</a>

they can get all the items you need. But for the amount of hp your wanting to increase, get Autothority Stage II chips, get a new wastegate, manual controller, and boost gauge from one of the above.

Do a search for "gauge pods" to check with Lo-Tek for a dual pillar we got together and purchased. If your still running the original head gasket, don't go over 15psi unless you get a great a/f ratio.

Good luck and welcome to the board.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:13 PM
rich951
Intermediate

Ski-Thanks for your help-much appreciated and for the company web sites.
Ill start searching.
once again -thanks.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:12 AM
Gary
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by rich951:
<strong>Ski-Thanks for your help-much appreciated and for the company web sites.
Ill start searching.
once again -thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ski's pretty much right on. Just to add to his recommendations based on my experience (!) - if you're a real novice (I still am even though I've chipped, MAF'ed and a few other things etc.) consider the following (unless you like giving money away to garages!):

- getting the wastegate installed by a garage (just to avoid the pain of getting the nuts undone!)
- buying a straight swap wastegate (many aren't and require additional fabrication / mountings which will cost you more to get installed)
- install the chips yourself (buy a second-hand set of APE stage II off ebay or someone on rennlist) - it's an easy job and the procedure is very well documented
- buy a Lindsey boost enhancer (www.lindseyracing.com) to control the boost - install it yourself in about about 0.2 seconds

Estimated (very rough!) total cost:
LBE - US$80
chips US$150
wastegate US$400
installation - depends on hourly rate - couple of hours for inexperienced mechanic, dodgy bolts etc.

Just my couple of quids' worth,
Old 06-26-2002, 09:19 AM
rich951
Intermediate

Gary-thanks, thats just what im looking for, info wise.
is the Linsey wastgate reliable - anyone else bought one of these?
If anyone has any of the APE stage II chips I'll be interested.

Quick Reply: Novice needs help-please