Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oversize Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 04:18 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GaryK, there may still be something wrong with your cooling system. I ran at Willow Springs last August with air-temps in the 110-115 degree range and my water-temps never went above 1/2-3/4.

But my oil-pressure did drop, probably due to heating up the oil. An oil-cooler from an RX-7 12A or 13B engine would work well for our cars as well. It's about 3-4x larger and fits right where the air-conditioning radiator is.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:20 PM
GaryK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I sure hope the new radiator fixes my water temp issues. I guess removing the a/c condensor would help flow as well. Danno - are you saying the RX7 oil cooler would fit in place of the condensor? What are you running for coolant?

The 25row Mocal cooler behind the foglight housing seems like the way to go, unless you want to pull the condensor.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:52 PM
951carter
Racer

I have the Mocal unit infront of the radiator, with the condenser still in place. It is a tight fit but it works. It does leave the lines pretty low to the ground but i have the Gt-racing front splitter that takes the scrapes for them. We had to fab some mounts and lines but it was pretty straight forward. A friend of mine has an oil cooler that mounts in front of the condenser as a supplement to the factory cooler. The maker is escaping me at the moment but it is from one of the big P-car suppliers.

GaryK,
>>The extra oil capacity would be a good thing as well, seeing as I can't afford an accusump.<<

You can get the whole setup with lines and the CM oil filter for @ $500, not too bad.
Try taking out your radiator and banging it on the ground face down and spraying it from the rear. You will be amazed at the pile of "sand" that will come out. While you have it out, flush out the inside real good. If it is not leaking you shouldn't need to replace it. Also clean out the condenser fins or remove it. Unless of course, you are like me and just like to put new parts on your P-car =)
Old 06-28-2002, 12:28 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
KellyK,

Do you have any pics of your oil cooler setup?

I just bought the 8x12 Mocal and thermostat, looking at which mounting point is best.

Did you remove the horn?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2002, 03:31 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"are you saying the RX7 oil cooler would fit in place of the condensor? What are you running for coolant?"

I'm using a 20% phosphate-free/80% distilled water mix with water-wetter. There are two components to coolant, an antifreeze and corrosion-additives packages. You want as little antifreeze as possible because it lowers the heat conductivity of the coolant, but you want the additives for anti-corrosion. I think Zerex or one of the coolant folks has for OEM/dealers an coolant that has zero antifreeze but with the complete anti-corrosion additives package. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my hands on that stuff.

BTW, you can buy the RX-7 oil-cooler for about $50 used and add $35-50 for new oil-lines. It measures about 6x20" for triple the capacity of the stock one; and it doesn't block any extra radiator surface area if you install it in place of the air-con condensor.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:36 PM
kellyk
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Floyd:
"KellyK, Do you have any pics of your oil cooler setup?"

Sorry, no pics yet. No horn either, it must have been removed when Vision did the installation.

It is hard to see exactly how everything is mounted as the brake cooling ducting is blocking the view. It looks like the cooler is sitting between two steel stantions directly under the headlight (when closed). It also looks like one of the stantions has a small weld on it so thier may be a bracket tack-welded to one of these parts. The stainless steel lines look about 3/4" diameter and have 90 degree fitings on both sides in order to squeeze them in.

The fog light housing looks large enough to expose about 80% of the oil cooler to direct airflow. I painted the housing and the front of the cooler flat black so it "disappears" into the air dam when you view it from the front.

I hope to have some pics of my car soon. I have all four wheels and brakes off right now and the car is up on jackstands. After I install my new rotors I will clean it up and post some photos.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:32 PM
GaryK
Racer

Replaced my radiator yesterday with a new one from Europroducts (only $200). What a pita! I didn't see how there was any way to drop the radiator without removing either the oil cooler line near the lower hose flange or the bottom piece of the support (held on my 4 hex-head screws). Since the oil fittings wouldn't budge, I removed the lower support, which later proved very difficult to reinstall.
Also noticed the shrouding was broken, so I repaired it and cleaned the condensor thorougly as well. I used Pentosin antifreeze (my Audi turbo buddies swear by it) in about a 35/65 mix with distilled water.
No track time yet, but the car is running a bit cooler on the street.

Back to the oil cooler. A PCA member, Terry Morris, in Witchita has a kit using a small Mocal cooler that fits behind the LH fog light and is plumbed in series with the stock cooler. He claims a 50-60F drop in oil temps on the track. I've got one on order, though I'm not looking forward to trying to remove the oil line again.

Next track event in two weeks, so we'll see how all this stuff works out. It's difficult to chase down those 993's with one eye on the temp gauge!

Gary

Quick Reply: Oversize Oil Cooler