Seat replacement, Standard - Sparco EVO 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 04:55 AM
freddie_fish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Seat replacement, Standard - Sparco EVO 2

Hi all,

My new seats (Sparco EVO2) arrived yesterday together with the side mounts. Cant figure out how it is supposed to work though.. The Sparco seat is much more narrow than the Porsche one. Also the side mounts are too short to fit in the chassis anyway. Will I have to drill or do I have to buy some sort of porsche specific mounting kit from Sparco?

Hopefully some of you have switched from standard seats to racing ones. Doc, maybe you know this.

Thanks
Freddie
Old 06-19-2002, 05:12 AM
freddie_fish
Intermediate

Sorry this post may be better of in the Water Cooled forum.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Brian Morris
Instructor

I just installed two Evo2's in my 89. There are a couple of different ways they can be mounted depending on your needs and height:

The easiest is to get the Brey Krause mounts and Sparco sliders from OG racing. This is all bolt in but you probably end up at the stock seat height which is no good for tall guys.

You can make your own bracket - which I did on the passenger side. I got 3/16" x 1-1/2" flat steel bar at Home Depot. I ran the two pieces fore and aft to locate the seat in the right place. The forward stock seat mounting bolt goes just through the steel bar. Next, the forward hole of the Sparco mount is bolted to the steel bar about 2" back. Then the rear stock mounting bolt goes through both the Sparco mount and the steel bar. This puts the seat pretty far back - probably good for someone with long legs. You can mount the Sparco mount anywhere you like on the flat bar though, assuming there's room for a nut and bolt. The disadvantage of this approach is that you lose a little headroom.

To get my driver's seat as low as possible (I'm 6-3) I just drilled holes in the floor and bolted the mounts to the floor. The front of my seat is now tight to the floor. I gained about 2" of headroom doing this which gives me enough room for a helmet.

--Brian Morris
89 951
Old 06-19-2002, 03:37 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts
I just recently put a new Momo seat with side mounts in my track car. I had to machine a set of spacers to go between the seat and the side mount. These brought the side mounts out to the correct width. I then welded an extension to the back of the side mount to allow it to align with teh factory holes in the rear. I also drilled new holes in the front of the side mounts to mate up to the floor points.

I'd rate the job a 2 on a scale of 1 to 5.

If I get a chance I'll take a couple of photos and post them tonight.

Alan
Old 06-20-2002, 08:23 AM
freddie_fish
Intermediate

Thanks guys! I´ll probably make a couple of aluminum profiles for mounting the side mounts on. Pictures would be nice to see, I will try to post some of my installation as soon as its finished.

Quick Reply: Seat replacement, Standard - Sparco EVO 2