Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best way to Fix wheel Discoloring

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to Fix wheel Discoloring

My wheels on my 86' turbo have begun to discolor. The wheels are the phone dial type with a yellow/brownish hue to them. Now the wheels have began to discolor. I believe the wheels were painted and now are white underneath. I have tried to take off the yellowish hue but not all of it will come off.

What i was wondering is what is the best/ cheapest course of action that i can do for my wheels. Could i just paint over the wheels again but what type of paint do i use? I am open to suggestions.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:21 PM
indiana_86_944_turbo
Instructor

im in the process of doing the same thing to my 86 turbo. im going to look in to getting some dupl-color spray paint and see what i can do.if your not looking to put alot of money into painting them,you might want to try it. i have done it to a few other cars i have owned with execellent results

scott
Old 06-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

Will the Dupli-color spray stay on the wheels permanently. I like the stock look of the wheels and the original color. Also where would you buy the dupli-color spray at?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

Actually i just found there website. Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the info indiana 86 944 turbo.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:36 PM
indiana_86_944_turbo
Instructor

most autoparts stores schould have it
Old 06-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The original paint is by Wurth, the best price I have found is from Pelican.

Description:
"Wurth is the recommended paint product for your german daily driver to Concour restoration project. European Blend Lacquer Spray Paint
These lacquer spray paints will match Porsche, BMW, Mercedes OEM colors perfectly. Exceptional in quality and coverage, drying time, leaving you with a sag free, high gloss luster that's second to none! Hi-build for filling pores and scratches, plus formulated with special rust inhibitors for a long lasting finish. Apply several light coats for a deep, rich, long lasting, chip resistant finish. Follow with a coat of Clear Gloss for additional protection over the color coat. One can should paint two complete wheels."

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/dbsql/db.cgi?db=partsearch&view_records=yes&mh=20&uid=default&description=Wurt h+paint" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/dbsql/db.cgi?db=partsearch&view_records=yes&mh=20&uid=default&description=Wurt h+paint</a>

Here is a good write up and pictures on a repair to a wheel using this paint. I would have taken the wheel off before trying this.

<a href="http://www.robsaudiworld.com/wheelrepair.htm" target="_blank">http://www.robsaudiworld.com/wheelrepair.htm</a>
Old 06-19-2003, 12:21 AM
Porscheman101
Instructor

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I went and bought the dupli-color paint at checkers tonight. I bought 2 cans for $10. I got the Graphite metalic kind. I even started it tonight. Got 2 of the wheels all finished. Will pull the other 2 wheels off tomorow. Its looking really good. Ill keep you all posted

Thanks

Justin

Quick Reply: Best way to Fix wheel Discoloring