944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is this low mileage Turbo S worth?

Old 12-06-2001, 10:36 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Question What is this low mileage Turbo S worth?

A friend calls me up, says he is going to sell his Turbo S, and wants to know what I think it is worth. Here's the details:
89 944 Turbo, Gold/Black. 33K original miles, well documented maint. including recent timing belt and water pump. 17" Borbet (sp?) wheels with fresh rubber. A few mods, including slotted rotors with stainless brake lines, Autothority stage II chips, stainless exhaust (?), well kept. Here in Ohio we don't get California prices for these cars, but with the low mileage, I'm guessing high teens. He's motivated to sell it so he wants to list it for $16.5K. I tell him it'll go quick for that price, what do you think?

Yea, you are right, I'm asking this in order to not get scolded for posting a car 'For Sale' off the classified board, but I know it will get a lot more hits here. Feel free to comment on the price, or ask questions. Sorry, but we don't have any digital pics. Serious buyers find the ad in the classifieds and call him at home. Please tell him Dan sent ya!
Old 12-08-2001, 02:18 PM
QuentinH
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After loosing my job and considering selling my car, I researched its value. I don't know if there is a difference in value of a 1988 Ltd Ed "S", but I have been told my #152 of 1000, '88 "S" is worth around twenty K. It has 31k on the odometer, and only has the following mods: Lindsey Bros. Stage I IC, turbo boost wastegate control, and the previous owner replaced the ugly, and poor wearing blue & pink plaid cloth interior with perforated Burgundy Naugahyde. My car has been referred to as "Pristine" by other 951 owners that have seen it, and PCNA sent me a letter describing the range of value of an '88 "S" to be between high 16K and high 24K. The overall condition and low mileage being the determining factors. It is my understanding that all the post '88 951's are mechanically identical to the original 1000 "S"'s. If that's true, it seems as though 16.5 for that car is a steal. Please, someone let me know if my information on the worth of one of the original Ltd. ED. "S" cars is incorrect.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:01 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having a regular '88 951 S, I'm always interested in following prices.

I would say that $24k is a pipe dream for an '88. I think it was last summer that a low mileage (I want to say 20k) silver rose was for sale in Chicago for ask of about $20k. You can always try a high price though if you are not in any rush. $16.5k for the first car described would probably sell in a matter of days from what I've seen.

I don't know if these production figures for the 951S are correct but they will give you the general idea:
.......Total North America
1988 1006 .... 399
1989 1201 .... 700

Other bits of questionable info: about 150 were made and imported to North America in 1990, no info on ROW. About 875 were made in 1991 but none of these originally came to NA.

How many are left on the road is anybody's guess but in Europe they get junked quite a bit quicker for various reasons, passing inspection being a big one. I believe Japan has some sort of onerous tax on older cars so they get crushed quicker.

So, the car is definately a collectable of sorts which explains the price level and makes one think twice about doing many mods.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:32 PM
QuentinH
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that I think of it, the letter from PCNA stated that prices were derived by analyzing several different info sources, one of them being NADA blue book prices.
The 24K probably is a stretch, and could have been affected by what one Porsche dealer got on a sale in that particular quarter, or a Barret-like auction price. I am leaning toward the 20K mark or best offers close to that. I hate like hell to even be considering it, but . . .
Old 12-08-2001, 04:45 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quentin, Oh, so you are looking at what to offer it at ... I didn't realize that.

Well, I personally don't think the Silver Rose model is any great shakes compared to the others and may actually get marked down in some minds due to the "Porsche Strange" cloth. But that is a taste thing. You with the interior redone with Naugahyde probably drops the value .... leather on the front seats would have been the way to go. FYI, the "partial leather" front seats was a $591 extra option on the $50k sticker price, so I wouldn't let the buyer beat you up on that issue too much.

Anyway, sorry you might have to sell it, but $20k seems like a good starting point. Other areas you might get beat up on price negotiations would be when the common failure items were last dealt with: timing belt, water pump, etc. You no doubt have the original clutch but that should be just fine as long as you haven't had a heater water leak down the inspection windows.

Let us know how things go so we can sort of keep track of values.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is this low mileage Turbo S worth?