Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

motec 4 or M48

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 02:42 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I contacted Jerry Woods Ent. who is a local Motec supplier.

They wanted $5,000 which included the Motec and set up time. This in itself is expensive but not the "Deal Breaker".

The deal breaker was that I had to PULL the engine and give it to JWE to do the setup!

Seams that they need to put the engine onto an engine dyno to do the setup. They said that the tuning could not be done on a chassis dyno.

No way do I want to pull my 70,000 mile motor, just to install a stand alone system.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:05 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"As long as you can get the right amount of fuel in and light it off at the right time, it doesn't matter what you use."

John hit the nail on the head. The primary functions of an EFI system are:

- measure engine speed and rotational-position
- measure/compute incoming air-flow
- open injectors appropriate amount to dispense matching fuel
- light off spark at optimum crank-position

The rest of the 'features' of an EFI system are programming and tuning aids. Windows software makes initial programming of fuel & ignition maps quicker, however hand-held programmers tend to be faster for single changes later. A handy tuning aid is datalogging and the more costly systems outputs more data at finer time-slices for more detailed analysis.

So a super high-end system may have more tools to help you dial in a system quicker, perhaps even save you some dyno-time and expense. But once you arrive at the most optimal fuel & igntion maps for your particular configuration, it doesn't matter what kind of system delivers that fuel & ignition. You can even program it into a set of chips and use the stock DME and it'll give you the exact performance as a Motec.

What fast951 is referring to in high-RPM operation is the resolution of the fuel & ignition maps. The DME uses a 16-cell table under full-load operation and the last three cells occur at 5800, 6000, and 6240rpm. If you rev. it past 6240, that last fuel-value will be static from that point onwards, making it difficult to finely control fuel & ignition values.

AutoThority extends that table to 19-cells and the extra three cells covers 6360, 6560 and 6840rpm allowing for finer control at high-RPMs.

I'm working on extending that table in our GURU chips and compressing the RPM-spread between cells and having a 24-cell table cover 1000-7500rpms for yet even finer control.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:07 AM
86944turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ian,

To get a better understanding of MoTeC's capabilities, contact an engine builder that uses them on his motors. If you are going to the expense, buy the latest and most powerful. The programming of a given motor is similar to Detroit programming a new motor. Jon Milledge can answer your questions @ JMEngines.com

Quick Reply: motec 4 or M48