Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New questions about droan noise and motor mounts on my 86 951?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 12:19 PM
Vroom
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New questions about droan noise and motor mounts on my 86 951?

Ave 1986 944 Turbo 140K

12/2/01 New possibility: I’ve taken my 86 951 to Rennwerke in Elmsford, NY. After a preliminary test drive, they found the noise, and are 90% thinking that the noise is from the motor mounts being weak, and a harmonic vibration/droan being caused by that. They’ll look in to it further next week. Apparently, they had used a lever to pry the engine up from the mounts and the noise quieted, not sure if completely or not? I was told that when a “mount” is healthy, you can’t see the bolt/nut. You can see them on this car. I was told that if the motor mounts are the problem, the parts themselves run about $100 each and that the labor on one is easy, and the labor on the other is harder. Are there two motor mounts or more? Do motor mounts cost this much on a 951? Has anyone else had harmonic noises from weak mounts? Is one mount hard and one easy? What do you think?

Thanks, Ave

10/17/01 Noise continues from engine exhaust area. Has anyone been through this?

The noise comes on after the car warms up and while driving. A droan between 1900 and 3000 rpm, in gear or in neutral. Rennwerke in Elmsford, NY, agrees with my tech, it’s not hurting the car. The parts guy at the local dealer said there was a service bulletin regarding exhaust manifold double walled pipes, on 944 Turbos, breaking up, and that the new replacement parts would solve that problem, but that it was an expensive job.
Have any of you had the same problem? It drives me crazy. When I get off the highway, I can still make the noise by idling in the 1900 and up range. But a minute later, it’s gone.
If I can determine which part is the culprit, then the mechanic can change it. He just doesn’t want to waste my money looking for it. I’m hoping that it’s a problem some of you have also had, and that you can lead me to the culprit??
Thanks, Ave

Quick Reply: New questions about droan noise and motor mounts on my 86 951?