Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

random electrical questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 03:53 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post random electrical questions

Trying to diagnose a battery drain problem. To begin, looks like I need to replace a cracked and worn out positive battery cable that goes to the 951 starter. Should I get a OEM replacement or can I use some regular 4 Guage cable from the local auto parts store? Also, anybody know the diameter and length of the air cooling duct to the alternator- need to replace that as well. It would be helpful to get the right stuff before digging in. Geez, anyone hate electrical glitches as much as I do? I guess they're inevitable as the mileage mounts.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:55 PM
txhedg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

you can use regular batt cable for the batt to starter. I used 2ga wire, but my run is a bit longer since it has to go across the car and back to the kill switch. Also, you may have to replace the wire end, as the bolt on the starter is smaller than the std batt terminal wire end.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:09 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yes, you can replace that #4 with an auto parts store copy. Only problem is that stuff is very poor. Look at the number of strands in it. Less strands = easier to fracture from vibration. I would go to a welding supply shop, then solder on terminials, goop the ends, then heat shrink. Will last longer than you.

The vent hose is 60mm wide. Get a couple feet so you can accompany how stiff the new hose is. It is hard to find, also. I ended up using a carb preheat aluminum accordian hose. Worked pretty good and it won't rust like the original. Would have used a real hose if I could have found one .... 60mm is an odd size.

Have fun getting the hose clamped on the alternator .... helps if the thing is off to begin with.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:52 AM
txhedg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

good point on the batt cable, ice....the stuff from the local autozone aint great...i ordered a bunch of cable from one of the race shops, which has high strand counts. Longacre, i think is where i got it
Old 12-01-2001, 11:57 AM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help. I'm guessing the cable would have to be about 42-48 inches from the terminal to the starter. And right Ice, I suspect it aint gonna be easy to find that size duct much less get it on the alternator. Does it significantly cause premature wear from excess heat if you run without it? TIA
Old 12-01-2001, 12:30 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Michael, Cooling duct: I don't know how much it cuts down on alternator life not having the cooling duct. But I'm sure it does. If you lose the plastic heat shroud, kiss your alternator goodbye and quickly, especially since I see you are in Miami. People have lost the alt in a couple days of hard running after leaving the shroud off.

That duct does make a fair difference in voltage output though, so I would definately go to the trouble and replace. The cooler the diode pack and voltage regulator, the better. So make the effort, find a hose and replace it. It makes a real difference to headlight output by keeping system voltage up at 13.8v under load.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:18 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help guys-slapped on the new cable, now back up and running with 13.8v coming out of the alternator and starting every time.

Mike

Ps Had visions of doing the Arcweld to Fire like Perry951.

Quick Reply: random electrical questions