Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Throttle body Re-biuld Kit... calling Laust :-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:06 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Throttle body Re-biuld Kit... calling Laust :-)

Hey Guys
I just re-built the throttle body( Bruce's kit ) and after completing all the O ring replacements ... and all the fun that goes with it, I noticed that the Throttle Body Plate comes back more slowly than the extra TB I have here that I bought as a spare back up ...
The extra TB I have as a reserve closes more like mouse trap vs this rebuilt one, which closes more like its under hydraulic action...
Is this normal with the new O rings in place
I lubed the O rings and TB shaft with assembly lube prior to assembling
Also, I check the spring and its in the correct position and has the correct ( or the same tension as my reserve one that closes like a mouse trap )
So in conclusion is it normal for the TB plate to close more slowly when new O rings are installed
Thanks in advance for any insight
Regards
Ed
Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe the throttle plate is ever so slightly mis-aligned in the bore, causing some drag on the side walls ?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:21 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeyoman
maybe the throttle plate is ever so slightly mis-aligned in the bore, causing some drag on the side walls ?
+1, whenever doing this, I leave the screws loose, and will actuate the TB a few times, doing this ensures it is aligned perfectly with the body...

after rebuild it SHOULD snap shut, and fully seal.. also once the plate is shut, I hold it up to the light to double check the seal between the plate and the body all the way around.. it takes a little fidgeting, but it will become uniform around the edges... have done this a few times, and all of them are functioning perfect!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

JohnKoaWood said it very well.

The throttle plate needs to be aligned not only vertically, but also horizontally and the back light (sun) test is what I used too.

Also, before installing the throttle plate “exercise” the shaft axially (small play) while rotating it and let it settle in at its natural axial position. While tightening the throttle plate screws, be careful not to apply axial pressure to the shaft.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, what they all said.

Don't forget to peen/locktite those screws to keep them from backing out.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeyoman
Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
+1, whenever doing this, I leave the screws loose, and will actuate the TB a few times, doing this ensures it is aligned perfectly with the body...

after rebuild it SHOULD snap shut, and fully seal.. also once the plate is shut, I hold it up to the light to double check the seal between the plate and the body all the way around.. it takes a little fidgeting, but it will become uniform around the edges... have done this a few times, and all of them are functioning perfect!
Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
JohnKoaWood said it very well.

The throttle plate needs to be aligned not only vertically, but also horizontally and the back light (sun) test is what I used too.

Also, before installing the throttle plate “exercise” the shaft axially (small play) while rotating it and let it settle in at its natural axial position. While tightening the throttle plate screws, be careful not to apply axial pressure to the shaft.
Thanks Guys
Actually it returns flush it just does it in slow motion compared the the spare I have ....
I made sure of that before I tightened the screws that the plate was correctly aligned .. What I sould have done, was realize that the so called drag is proabably being caused by a misaligned O ring ... The movement hasn't changed even before the throttle plate was inserted ... I just thought that was the new O rings doing their job ... AAAHHH!!!
Instead it looks like I have a whole new job ahead of me
Best regards
Ed
Old 03-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
Yeah, what they all said.

Don't forget to peen/locktite those screws to keep them from backing out.
Sadly I did that already looks like its a pinched O ring ...
Going to see if WD 40 will come to the rescue ??
Regards
Ed
Old 03-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

How much assembly lube did you put in there? That's pretty heavy grease for a throttle body... If we take it apart and fiddle with it, I suspect we'll get it working smoothly. Did it snap shut before the rebuild and did you check the shaft for straightness?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
How much assembly lube did you put in there? That's pretty heavy grease for a throttle body... If we take it apart and fiddle with it, I suspect we'll get it working smoothly. Did it snap shut before the rebuild and did you check the shaft for straightness?
Yes and yes .... Me thinks it the O ring which is not seated correctly
I sprayed Tri Flow but maybe WD 40 will loosen the o ring up
Otherwise I am F#$#ed
Old 03-26-2011, 03:11 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

every single tb i have ever seen shows light through the "hold up to the sun test" . I've always wondered if that is the way they are supposed to be or if you should NOT be able to see light throught the closed throttle blade. any thoughts or advise?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:24 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

mine did the same. t just had to be broken in. it works fine now.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default UPDATE ::

Hi Guys
OK here's the story
Took apart the TB again This time cleaned the crap outta everything again,
Needle bearings cleaned. O-rings removed, and cleaned, and I polished the shaft ( not not my shaft ) Then I cleaned with WD 40 and compressed air
Then re-mounted the O rings and then the shaft ...
I am getting a similar result! Then I said," let me try this on my original TB"
So, I replaced the O rings with a kit that Tom was nice enough to lend me and the exact same result
I had asked a question earlier and maybe, I didn't make it stand out enough
Here it is:
So in conclusion, is it normal for the TB plate to close more slowly when new O rings are installed

This must have some bearing ( no pun intended ) on this: No?
The NEW O-rings must grab the bar/ shaft tighter, hence the slower movement of the throttle plate ?
Let me be clear ... the plate closes completely ... Just not like the mouse trap that the spare on I have here closes like .. ( Which BTW probably has zero O- rings left inside due to it's age ....
I am going to try to post a video link tonight and see if I can show you guys exactly whats happening...
Thanks for your help
Regards
Ed
Old 03-26-2011, 09:43 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Hi Guys
OK here's the story
Took apart the TB again This time cleaned the crap outta everything again,
Needle bearings cleaned. O-rings removed, and cleaned, and I polished the shaft ( not not my shaft ) Then I cleaned with WD 40 and compressed air
Then re-mounted the O rings and then the shaft ...
I am getting a similar result! Then I said," let me try this on my original TB"
So, I replaced the O rings with a kit that Tom was nice enough to lend me and the exact same result
I had asked a question earlier and maybe, I didn't make it stand out enough
Here it is:

This must have some bearing ( no pun intended ) on this: No?
The NEW O-rings must grab the bar/ shaft tighter, hence the slower movement of the throttle plate ?
Let me be clear ... the plate closes completely ... Just not like the mouse trap that the spare on I have here closes like .. ( Which BTW probably has zero O- rings left inside due to it's age ....
I am going to try to post a video link tonight and see if I can show you guys exactly whats happening...
Thanks for your help
Regards
Ed
So just curious. Is your return spring attached properly and oriented the correct way?

When I rebuilt mine it wasn't returning properly. Then I realized the problem was I attached the return spring incorrectly.

Reattached and worked fine. Easy to miss that. The wrong way looks correct unless you look close.

good luck,

Jason
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
So just curious. Is your return spring attached properly and oriented the correct way?

When I rebuilt mine it wasn't returning properly. Then I realized the problem was I attached the return spring incorrectly.

Reattached and worked fine. Easy to miss that. The wrong way looks correct unless you look close.

good luck,

Jason
Hey Jason
Yes the return spring is fine
Its just the throttle shaft and plate move a little slower when returning to the stop position Did you notice that or maybe you have nothing to compare it to
The reason I point it out, is because of the spare one I have, has much quicker movement ... ( but its o-rings are most likely gone, so there is little to no resistance ) Did you notice it snaps back a little slower, after replacing the O rings ?
Just truning the shaft you can feel the o rings grab the shaft more than before
Regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Throttle body Re-biuld Kit... calling Laust :-)