Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Throttle body Re-biuld Kit... calling Laust :-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn't do a full rebuild on mine. i didn't need to replace the o-rings.

sorry can't help you with that one.

Jason
Old 03-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
I didn't do a full rebuild on mine. i didn't need to replace the o-rings.

sorry can't help you with that one.

Jason
Thanks Bud anyway
Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the slow return thing after rebuild. I traced it to the lubricant I used. Bearing grease is way too thick for this appication. I used a thin oil and it now snaps shut. It probably wore in a bit too.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjbreen
Mine did the slow return thing after rebuild. I traced it to the lubricant I used. Bearing grease is way too thick for this appication. I used a thin oil and it now snaps shut. It probably wore in a bit too.
That's what I been waiting to hear
So how long before it snaps shut ... ? was it an issue when you first started the car i.e. slow to come to idle ?
Thanks for your feedback
Regards
Ed
Old 03-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heavy grease should thin out a little bit with use as it goes through a few heat cycles (especially in our engine bays!). I'd throw the TB on the car and run it a day or two before going too much further, the best problems are the ones that can solve themselves.

If it persists then I'd look into TB plate alignment.

Edit: Or I can sell you the rebuilt TB I have on my car right now. I haven't put my evap. delete TB on yet, so the one that is on there is just the extra I grabbed off eBay and rebuilt to get the car running.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
Heavy grease should thin out a little bit with use as it goes through a few heat cycles (especially in our engine bays!). I'd throw the TB on the car and run it a day or two before going too much further, the best problems are the ones that can solve themselves.

If it persists then I'd look into TB plate alignment.

Edit: Or I can sell you the rebuilt TB I have on my car right now. I haven't put my evap. delete TB on yet, so the one that is on there is just the extra I grabbed off eBay and rebuilt to get the car running.
Thanks Scott
Actually I did remove the grease already..but still a bit slowler than the spare one I have
Thanks for the offer though ...
Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dillon410021
mine did the same. t just had to be broken in. it works fine now.
Yeeks, I missed this post

So its to be expected
Thanks Dillon
Regards
Ed
ps Thanks Tom
Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Ed, Mine did the same as well. I think mine after a year started to stap shut again (about 2000ish miles). So I agree sounds normal.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:39 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

did no one read my post to answer my question?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kev951
An engine still needs a small amount of air to be able to idle, if it was 100% blocked off the engine would stall.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Ed, Mine did the same as well. I think mine after a year started to stap shut again (about 2000ish miles). So I agree sounds normal.
Thanks bud
I wish I knew that before I took this thing apart at least 4 times and spent the better part of two days on it ...
SO the world should know, Anyone doing this rebuild
EXPECT THE MOVEMENT OF THE THROTTLE PLATE TO BE SLOWER WHEN YOU CHANGE THE SEALS....

Sorry but I don't know the answer to that .. Mine has some light showing through as well
Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

No problem Ed, now get that car done. I want to see more shiny pics.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
No problem Ed, now get that car done. I want to see more shiny pics.
Coming soon
Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry was off line for a few days!

Originally Posted by Scott H
An engine still needs a small amount of air to be able to idle, if it was 100% blocked off the engine would stall.
While this is, in theory, true, it is also what the idle stab valve, and screw in the top of the throttle body is for.. both allow a small enough amount of air in to keep it running.. it is all in completely rebuilding the TB, not just replacing all the seals and calling it good. I rebuild each one I do a little beyond what is included in the kit, and each one has performed flawlessly since being rebuilt!

While SOME light is OK, on a fully rebuilt TB. I do the plate adjustment with all other hardware bottomed out, and have gotten the plate FULLY closed on each one..

Once re-assembled, each adjustment in order, and the throttle body acts, and throttle response is as it should be..

FWIW, this is something most of us will only ever do once, maybe twice.. I have done it too many times to keep track of... and am sure I will do it a few more times!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
While this is, in theory, true, it is also what the idle stab valve, and screw in the top of the throttle body is for.. both allow a small enough amount of air in to keep it running.. it is all in completely rebuilding the TB, not just replacing all the seals and calling it good. I rebuild each one I do a little beyond what is included in the kit, and each one has performed flawlessly since being rebuilt!
Totally forgot about that ISV, yeah there's that too. Does the ISV adjust its PWM based on coolant temp? I remember people deleting it and saying they have poor cold performance but fine once its warmed up. Honestly, that thing is a little magic cylinder to me... that for most of my 951 ownership I had installed in reverse *face palm*

To make a comparison to the LS1 crowd, when they put a big lopey camshaft in they sometimes drill a hole in the throttle plate. The little bit of extra air allows a smoother idle.

I'll be rebuilding my (second) TB tonight (I've juuuust had enough to drink to make car maintenance fun!), I'll see how the throttle plate fits. As far as I know it has ~105k miles on it and had never been rebuilt (except for the 50 miles I ran it after rebuilding it then moving the rebuild kit over to the TB I didnt break the nipple off).

I fully suggest you remove the evap system if you aren't in a state that inspect, it frees up so much room and gets rid of about 8 feet of vacuum line.

Quick Reply: Throttle body Re-biuld Kit... calling Laust :-)