Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help with this driving condition???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 AM
MK_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with this driving condition???

hey guys, just got the car up and running. Now she was idling at 2,000rpm when I started her up but set the idle at 900rpm. Now the thing is when I drive and am about to shift, once I put the clutch in, the rpms rise. Quite annoying and trying to figure out why this is happening? Also, how much oil should be present in the cam tower when I take the caps out to inspect. I saw the cam was coated but was curious how much should actually be in there. I use Valvoline VR1 20w-50 and its a thick oil and only ran the car for about 10-15min so not too sure if it got circulating well enough.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:36 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My bet is something is stuck in the throttle body/throttle cable causing the throttle to not close like it should. I would check around that area of operations first. Check the spring to see if it's lost its 'springiness'. Pull the boost pipe off and open and shut the throttle while looking at the plate. Check the throttle cable to see if the part leading into the shield is starting to get frayed. I think that is common on old cables. Also, make sure the clamp from the boost pipe to the throttle body isn't in the way of the throttle cam. This tends to be a simple yet easily overlooked issue. That's what I would start with.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM
400hp944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the TPS. Mine did the same thing even though the TPS "clicked" as it was supposed to. Also check the ISV. It may be stuck.

Quick Reply: Help with this driving condition???