Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Where are the DME and KLR chips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 11:35 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts
Question Where are the DME and KLR chips?

I am installing a new set of chips in my car and I don't know where the DME and KLR are located.

If someone could help me out with out to do the swap I would apreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-26-2001, 12:28 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
My car is a 1987 951, the information is from this car.

The DME is located in the passenger foot well area. If you remove the carpet you will see a wood cover. Remove the screws that hold the wood in place and you should have access to the DME.

Have a chip extractor or be careful when removing the old one. You want to pull straight up so you do not bend the pins.

Since you are opening the DME to replace the chips, inspect all the solder joints/points of the other components. With the years, the solder point may break causing problems. I resolder all the joints in mine as a precaution.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:28 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Ok, I have the boxes out of the car, and the tops off, now how on earth to I get at the chips?

Please help, I have to have the car back together by the end of the day
Old 11-26-2001, 02:02 PM
jbird
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're referring to the fact that the two boards are stacked on top of each other... On the end with the ribbon connector you should see two plastic support pillars, one on either side of the ribbon. CAREFULLY separate them. This will allow you to pull the board back so that the other end will slide out of its slot. You can then open the boards like a book. Both computers are this way. Be very careful.

Jim
Old 11-26-2001, 02:02 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ian,

When you have the covers off, look at the top board. Under there you should see the chips.

Be very careful taking these boards off. I recommend a grounding strap but it isn't an absolute. Just touch some metal(ground) yourself to remove static. The plastic pcs that hold the board in place can be brittle. I recommend needle nose here. Gently pull up while compressing the plastic tabs, when the plastic tabs are free, pull on the whole board to free it from the base, turn it over and there are the chips. I actually use dental tools to remove the chips,,s.s. and the larger two are perfect for getting under the chips and getting them out with perfect pins. $8.95 at radio shack but they call them soldering utensils or something.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-26-2001, 02:45 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Thanks all, I got it.

Quick Reply: Where are the DME and KLR chips?