Relocated and new 951 owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 09:09 AM
hrk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Relocated and new 951 owner

Hi rennlisters,

I have just got my -86 951 129 tml and I am new to the Atlanta area.
I have some work on the car which I would presume is pretty important to get over with.
P.O. had the belts retensioned and apparently they had been replaced at 120 tml. However I did not find any records of waterpump service at all. Now I am worried to drive the car without changing waterpump.
Which shops are reputable around Atlanta area? Automobile Atlanta, International Performance, these I have heard of. Has anybody experience which he or she might share with me?
HRK
Old 11-20-2001, 01:46 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not an expert on this, but I wouldn't replace the water pump until you have to. Unless of course you already had the front end apart for belts or seals, then it might make sense to save on the labour. It was pretty obvious when mine needed replacing - I parked the car one day and discovered a nice green stream meandering from under the car. I'd just keep an eye on the temp gauge, and enjoy the car.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:29 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

hrk,

I agree with Ian, unless there are problems with the pump now, run it as-is and combine its replacement with a belt or seal job.
As for shops, I would NOT recommend Automobile Atlanta. There have been MANY negative responses to their work, service and attitude in general. Check the archives(if they weren't wiped out in the crash) or just ask over on the main 924/944 board for opinions on AA.

Eric 86 951-for sale
Old 11-20-2001, 02:48 PM
hrk
Instructor

Thanks for quick response.
I have no experience on 944 to determine if the waterpump is failing or seizing. Seen from the tiny hole the cam belt is clean and dry and there is no extra sounds from the pump as far as I can tell. I had one of these 951 motors with my other stuff as spares, and when I took the head off from that motor I saw the results of broken timing belt. This sight is just haunting me right now.
There are other thing also which needs to be taken care of. Like inner tie rods, maybe motor mounts, tires. These might wait until I get adjusted to this car better and get my priorities straight.
I am going to use this car for 3 mile commute to work (bad thing, I know) and autocrossing and maybe DE:s. Which clubs should I join for these activities?
I have FIA junior license for this year, I suppose it doesn't help over here.
HRK
Old 11-20-2001, 06:03 PM
VectorGuy
Intermediate

Thumbs up

the PCA (Porsche Club of America) is very good for many activities, Autocross, DE, social, etc.. get info at http://www.pca.org
The monthly magazine, Panorama, is well worth the membership fees.
Don't be surprised if the PCA takes some time to get you on the roster, if I recall they aren't super fast at correspondence with new members.

Welcome!
Old 11-20-2001, 06:24 PM
hrk
Instructor

Thank you,
I will contact them realquick as they say around here

Is there any reason to join SCCA also?

hrk
Old 11-21-2001, 10:42 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SCCA generally has more "intense" competitions like Pro Solo and wheel-to-wheel racing. The wheel-to-wheel classes generally have strict rules per class, so unless your car was prepared to those rules, you'll be at a disadvantage. Your FIA license would probably satisfy some or all of their licensing requirements if you decide to try it.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:44 AM
Craig Clark
4th Gear

Welcome to Atlanta

The PCA club is very active here, as is the SCCA. Several turbo owners here have splinter groups which travel the DE circuit in the SE and mix it up with the SCCA guys as well.

Check out www.boost-o-holics.com for some local flavor.

DE in Jan. 2002 and a autocross comming up in Dec. for PCA. Our end of the year Christmas party is in two weeks. Our chapter website is www.platz.com/pca/peachstate
Old 11-26-2001, 03:08 PM
Andy
Instructor

Welcome to the Atlanta Area.

As far as shops go, do not use Automobile Atlanta. International Performance is good (I hear) if you're near the NE side of town, or Ryland's Specialized Import Service is good and on the NW side of town. Good luck.

Andy
86 951

Quick Reply: Relocated and new 951 owner