Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

calling john from vitesse

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those wires are probably for data logging/wbo2 sensors ect.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM
apitts73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my pc guy says that it says connected and downloading then in middle of download it says no connection then goes back to downloading then its says again no connection then stops downloading.....so he tries another port, tells system to change to port 3 instead of port 4 and then the same thing happens...starts download then says no connection again.
i will try another com/usb cable and driver on same pc then try on a different pc.

reason why the fuel pressure is so high is when you turn it down to say 45psi from the 50psi its set at....it goes lean(12.2 WOT)...so until i can tune it..it has to stay at around 50.
again i thank you guys for the help!
adam
Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Still sounds like a hardware connection issue.

Is the SMT-6 a serial connection only? (Hence the need for a USB->Serial converter?)

As I understand it, serial connections operate on very strict, rigid timing. If the timing gets out of sequence, you will lose your connection. USB is not fixed timing, and some devices run into issues when using a USB to Serial converter. People have had similar issues to yours when using the serial version of the VAG-COM cable on VW/Audi products with a USB converter.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by apitts73
my pc guy says that it says connected and downloading then in middle of download it says no connection then goes back to downloading then its says again no connection then stops downloading.....so he tries another port, tells system to change to port 3 instead of port 4 and then the same thing happens...starts download then says no connection again.
i will try another com/usb cable and driver on same pc then try on a different pc.

adam

It sounds that you have a USB-to-COM issue(s). Not all USB-to-COM are the same, the one I use and it works great for me is from EasySync-ltd.com
Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM
apitts73
Racer

GOT IT WORKING....IT WAS THE USB DRIVER!!

YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME

NOW I NEED THE MECHANIC TO HOOK UP THE REST OF THE WIRES SO I CAN DATA LOG....BUT I DONT THINK I HAVE ALL THE WIRING DIAGRAM/INSTRUCTIONS...I THINK THAT WAS WHY HE DIDNT HOOK THEM UP IN THE FIRST PLACE
I READ ALL THE DOCUMENTS I GOT WITH THE SYSTEM AND I DONT THINK I HAVE ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR WIRING THE FUEL CONTROLLER.
ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED
ADAM
Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad you got it working. I found that USB-Serial cables using the prolific chip set seemed to be the best for these types of situations. Any idea if that is what ended up working?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Why can't the SMT-6 and other similar products be made with a USB port in the first place? This is 2011... I continue to have connection issues. I have to open the software, connect the cable and let it sit for a few minutes before I attempt to connect. If not, I get the "no com" error. Now that I know the process, I can deal with it.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 400hp944
Why can't the SMT-6 and other similar products be made with a USB port in the first place? This is 2011... I continue to have connection issues. I have to open the software, connect the cable and let it sit for a few minutes before I attempt to connect. If not, I get the "no com" error. Now that I know the process, I can deal with it.
The SMT6 was designed almost 10 years ago, at the time most laptops had com ports.
The new VR-8x PB is USB based...
Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The better solution is to get a PC Card serial interface – these work much better and almost all Laptops have some sort of PC card interface.

BTW – nice customer support John! Not many vendors will help out folks that have 2nd hand equipment!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chris White
The better solution is to get a PC Card serial interface – these work much better and almost all Laptops have some sort of PC card interface.

BTW – nice customer support John! Not many vendors will help out folks that have 2nd hand equipment!
The USB-to-Serial I use works fine. With the introduction of a Win7 update, they quit working. Had to upgrade the drivers. BTW. It appears that most USB-to-Serial converters use the same company for their drivers. The USB-to-Serial Card works great, however many laptops especially the mini (8-10") do not have a slot for the card.

No problem helping out. And make that 3rd hand .

Last edited by fast951; 03-25-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:39 PM
apitts73
Racer

again thanks for all the help guys!!
so after reading the instructions....i see the rest of the wiring diagram is in the software....will axcess it today and wire the rest for data logging.

when it cuts out in fourth gear @ 15psi....is that the system cutting out for timing/detination...or im thinking it might be the wastegate seal letting go??its a turbonetics newgen wastegate and it has a rubber seal at the top when you install the spring...i will try tightening that today too.

also the electrical gremlins came out yesterday....overheating now and then...like the radiator fan isnt coming on and my temp gauge and fuel gauge start to flutter when its overheating....then a few minutes later its fine!!
is there a certain fuse or circuit that controls these gauges and or cooling fan??

maybe i should just start another thread with all these glitches/problems!?

again...thanks to everyone that has helped me out.
adam

Quick Reply: calling john from vitesse