calling john from vitesse

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 AM
apitts73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default calling john from vitesse

john and anyone else that can help...
i cant get a conection with the vitesse software to tune and or data log......we had to buy a com to usb cord so we can hook it up to the laptop, and it says its not connected but when you unplug it, it says connection lost..like it was connected and working. my friend is a computer whiz and has tried everything he can think of...we tried it on 2 different laptop computers and same thing happens on both....im thinking its the cd i used to install it on the computer from the guy i bought it from(he says its the right cd and have no reason to disbelieve him).
i would really like to get it working so i can tune this new motor...its running pretty rich i think....what do you think of these #s??
at cold start up the afrs are in the 10s and spits fuel out the tail pipe
idling is in the 14-15s
just cruising its in the 12 to low13s but mostly around 12.5
then on low boost its in the 11s almost right away
full boost its around 11.2-11.5
do these AFR #s sound rich?
also in 4th gear it cuts out @ 15psi boost(not sure what rpm) but when i had the boost @ 12-13psi it was fine right up to 6000rpm.....so i would love to data log that problem to solve it.

thanks for any help/ideas
Old 03-23-2011, 02:35 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you select the port you're using in the vitesse software?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:20 AM
apitts73
Racer

yes we selected which port...but thanks for the input.

also what should the fuel pressure be set at? i think mine is close to 50psi..which seems high to me, but thats what the porsche mechanic set it at.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried running the software on a laptop/pc with a proper serial port ?
The usb convertors do not always work for all applications, although mine does work fine with the VR software.
A/F's look ok to me but I'm no expert, way better than mine
Old 03-23-2011, 05:46 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The AFR numbers you are seeing are about the same I saw when I ran with the shorting plug.

What turbo are you running?
What datalogger are you using?

Last edited by Thom; 03-23-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you right clicking on the SMT6 icon and running it as administrator? Fuel pressure with no vacumm line on it should be 3 bar (44 PSI) at idle.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Adam, You purchased the Vitesse products used. Did you verify the condition of the components? Did you ask the previous owner if he had issues connecting?

The FQS document for your chip/board calls for 3bar static Fuel Pressure (approx 43-44psi). Why are you using 50psi fuel pressure? Fix the fuel pressure then report back with AFRs. During the warm up cycle, the engine will run rich for a few minutes. When the engine is warm and the O2 closed loop is active, you will be in the 14-15AFRs. Under load, you will be around 11.5:1AFRs. Cruising, you will be in the 13s. Based on the AFRs you reported above, you are not far off, but you need to set the fuel pressure to the correct value.

Back to your connection issue. Are you saying the software displays "Connected" but nothing happens on the screen? Do you see any pop-up status windows uploading/downloading from and to the unit? Are you getting power to the unit when trying to connect?

As stated already, not all USB-to-Serial converters work the same, so you need to determine if you are even connecting to the box.

Last edited by fast951; 03-23-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

Everything was working fine in my car. I was able to connect once I downloaded the proper driver for my USB to serial cord and configured the lap top properly.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 PM
apitts73
Racer

thanks for the help guys......i will lower the fuel pressure right away and see the afrs are then

"Have you tried running the software on a laptop/pc with a proper serial port ?
The usb convertors do not always work for all applications, although mine does work fine with the VR software.
A/F's look ok to me but I'm no expert, way better than mine"

no i havent tried it on a laptop with a real serial port(that is an old pc!!) but we did install a com/usb driver.....might try my friends pc today..he has a com port on his old laptop.

"the AFR numbers you are seeing are about the same I saw when I ran with the shorting plug.

What turbo are you running?
What datalogger are you using?"

not sure what you mean by shorting plug??
john @ vitesse tuned the v-flex chip for my mods to the car...super 75/10 turbo and whatever came with the used kit i bought from docwyte.

john....Back to your connection issue. Are you saying the software displays "Connected" but nothing happens on the screen? Do you see any pop-up status windows uploading/downloading from and to the unit? Are you getting power to the unit when trying to connect?

it says that com port 3 or com port 4 is working but nothing happens...then when you unplug it and plug it into a different port , it says com port 3 dissconnected. he tried to trick the computer into thinking the usb is a com port, he tried installing the proper com/usb driver....all the same result.
no window uploading/downloading from/to the unit.
im not sure if im getting power to the unit....car is running when we try to connect to the unit with the program running on the laptop.

again...i will try a pc with a com port today and also i will turn down the fuel pressure.

thanks again everyone for the help and interest,
adam
Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Are you running Win7? I had problems with my usb/serial adapter not being win7 compliant and had to buy a new one. After that it worked like a charm.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Based on what you describe, I'm thinking the problem is in the USB-to_SERIAL converter.

alxdgr8 brings up a good point. If using Win7, make sure to download and update the driver for your converter..
Old 03-24-2011, 01:15 PM
apitts73
Racer

thanks for the info....i talked to my pc guy and he is posative the driver is installed right.......looking at the unit, it appears my mechanic didnt/couldnt wire it all!! the only wires connected are the black, red and orange wires going to the dme. all other wires are just rolled up....have to ask the mechanic WHY??
will get back later today with an answer
adam
Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't think the PB-to-DME wiring is the problem. As far as I know, your PC should be able to communicate with the PB regardless of whether it's connected to the car or not.

I'd still blame the USB/COM connection. Try another laptop if you have access to one.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, as long as the SMT6 has power and ground you should be able to communicate/see it with it via serial port.

I needed some light reading recently, I picked the SMT6 manual...
Old 03-24-2011, 01:33 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by apitts73
thanks for the info....i talked to my pc guy and he is posative the driver is installed right.......looking at the unit, it appears my mechanic didnt/couldnt wire it all!! the only wires connected are the black, red and orange wires going to the dme. all other wires are just rolled up....have to ask the mechanic WHY??
will get back later today with an answer
adam
With the PB you have, POWER and GND must be connected (and switched ON) in order to communicate with the PB.

Of course, other wires are needed to read/modify signals.

So, it is possible that you are connecting to the PB, but since you do not have any wires connected to sensors, there will be nothing to see on the screen.
If you can upload and download to the unit you can communicate with it.
Still you need to connect the appropriate wires to put the PB to use. (note: not all the wires get connected, some will remain bundled up).

Quick Reply: calling john from vitesse