Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lumpy idle, poor power delivery.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 03:15 PM
rob_bot
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lumpy idle, poor power delivery.

I have just come back from Germany where I stretched my car's legs a bit. Everything was fine until backing off from around 145mph (still accelerating) to brake. Checking in my rear view mirror (to see if I was going to be hit by a faster car!) I noticed a few orange sparks coming from the back of the car - obviously from the exhaust. I initially thought it was a cigarette thrown out by the truck driver who decided to pull out on me and carried on. Further down the road it happened again at a similar speed so I decided to keep the speed down a bit (<110) I didn't see sparks again and the car was driving as usual until my return to England. Got to the exit on the motorway any stopped at the junction. The car nearly died and idled eratically. When I tried to keep it going it was very lumpy and pulling away was difficult as if there was no power. Does this sound like a mechanical or electrical fault and where should I start to look? I have read (here) about dist caps and leads giving problems can this happen instantly or is it more gradual. Does this sound like it is related to the sparks from the exhaust - bits of piston/valve/turbine or something else (hopefully electrical!)?
Old 11-26-2001, 12:21 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

The lack of power sounds like a bad vaccum leak to me?

When i travel @ high speeds then shift I shoot small flames?

most deffinately unrelated

Quick Reply: Lumpy idle, poor power delivery.