Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost enhancer vs. AA Stage II chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 11:36 PM
tuna
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boost enhancer vs. AA Stage II chip

I have read from a few web ring sites that people with autoathority stage II chips see no gain from adding a boost enhancer since you must replace the banjo bolt with the stock one. Is there anyone who can clarify this? I have an 86 951 with the AA chip and banjo bolt and was interested in installing the boost enhancer. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:09 AM
951sickness
Instructor

I have a '88 951 with the Autothority Stage II chips and the Lindsey Boost Enhancer. The addition of the boost enhancer made a day and night difference. The difference the enhancer made was almost as drastic as the chips themselves. Buy the Boost Enhancer, you will not be disappointed.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:34 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are two upgrades at work here. One is increased boost and two is additional fuel and overboost-protection removal.

The increase in power is created by the increased boost. More air flowing through the engine means more fuel can be mixed with it and burned. Thus, increasing the boost is vital. Both the banjo-bolt mod and Lindsey Boost-Enhancer increases the stock boost. The banjo-bolt uses a less-than-elegant restriction method that really just delays the activation of the wastegate. The Lindsey controller is much better in that it prevents the wastegate from opening at all until your pre-determined boost-level is reached. It is set at stock 12psi of boost when shipped, probably because of factor #2...

The second part of the power upgrade is removing the stock over-boost protection and ensuring adequate fuel. There's no use in increasing the boost at all without replacing the chips. That's because the stock chips will cut your fuel when it senses boost above 13psi (and sending your head through the windshield). Also aftermarket chips will meter extra fuel for the extra boost. DO NOT USE STOCK CHIPS WITH INCREASED BOOST!!!

So the best upgrade with the parts you listed is to get the AutoThority Stg2 chips AND a Lindsey Boost Enhancer (put the AutoThority banjo-bolt in your toolbox).
Old 11-24-2001, 10:59 AM
tuna
Intermediate

I am so thankful for your responses. Thank you for taking the time and answering my question. I am off to buy a boost enhancer.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:42 PM
ddramoneshaw
Intermediate

just installed lbh in my 86 951, seems to help alot , I have no other mods. after reading dannos reply is this cool?
Old 11-26-2001, 04:21 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stock chips should be OK as long as you're not increasing the boost above stock with the LBE.

Quick Reply: Boost enhancer vs. AA Stage II chip