Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

If you are using a KLR Knock counter, read this.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default If you are using a KLR Knock counter, read this.

While investigating a few things on a 951, I noticed that the installed CURTIS knock counter was registering knock count just by revving the engine at Idle.
The curtis was connected to the KLR Knock Y/N line. We were seeing 5-7 knock counts, just by revving the engine while sitting still (no load on engine).

I checked the KLR box, it had a aftermarket KLR chip. I replaced the chip with a factory KLR chip, and no more knock count when revving at idle. I forced knock under load, and it did register when I expected it.

I did not investigate further, and I don't intend to analyze why the aftermarket KLR chip was causing issues.

If you are using the factory Knock Y/N for knock count, it might be best to use the factory KLR chip!.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good info John, as usual!

Any idea (if you dont mind posting) WHO'S AM KLR chip was in there?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting
Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Very good info John, as usual!

Any idea (if you dont mind posting) WHO'S AM KLR chip was in there?
I know whose AM chip it is. Whose AM chip is irrelevant, the key is to use the factory chip to eliminate any variables.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
I know whose AM chip it is. Whose AM chip is irrelevant, the key is to use the factory chip to eliminate any variables.
Dam john you know everything. I think in knowing the manufacturer of that chip is relevant because a fellow lister may have this particular chip.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by reno808
Dam john you know everything.
You are clever, thank you for your valuable input! FYI-The sticker on the chip is what gave it away.

Originally Posted by reno808
I think in knowing the manufacturer of that chip is relevant because a fellow lister may have this particular chip.
True, however I'm not getting into it as "some" may take it as bashing other products.
The bottom line is, if you are experiencing an odd knock count, it will be a good idea to try the factory KLR chip to verify.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Even if we are not using a knock counter, are you saying that an aftermarket KLR chip might trigger retarded timing?
Or am I reading too much into this?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

The idea of seeing knock under such little load is really far fetched. Was this on a cold engine? It could have been unrelated noise.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:09 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Even if we are not using a knock counter, are you saying that an aftermarket KLR chip might trigger retarded timing?
Or am I reading too much into this?
The aftermarket KLR chip that was on the car during testing caused the KLR to indicate there was knock (by triggering the KLR Y/N line). When I switched to stock KLR chip, the knock Y/N was no longer triggered when revving the engine at idle. There was about 1-2 minutes between tests, just long enough to swap chips (KLR box was on the floorboard already).

I did not investigate further to see what else was taking place while the knock Y/N was being triggered... I did not check ignition.

Considering "most" AM KLR chips are based on the same/similar chip. I wonder if the same behavior occurs if a different AM KLR chip was used...
As I mentioned, using the stock chip worked. So I have no reason to spend any more time on this matter.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lex_GTX
The idea of seeing knock under such little load is really far fetched. Was this on a cold engine? It could have been unrelated noise.
Yes, I did not expect to see knock when revving the engine at idle. Which is why I opened the KLR to examine which chip it has. Swapping to a stock KLR chip, took care of it.

Engine was warm, multiple tests were made with both chips with consistent results. There was a 1-2 minutes time between a test using a AM KLR chip and the factory test.

With the aftermarket chip, knock count was quite high which started all of this..

Obviously, this is a single AM KLR chip. I wonder if anyone else using the knock counter and a AM KLR chip has experienced odd knock count or a similar experience.

For me, I stick to the factory KLR chip and not worry about it.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:28 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Agreed!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

Yes, I did not expect to see knock when revving the engine at idle. Which is why I opened the KLR to examine which chip it has. Swapping to a stock KLR chip, took care of it.

Engine was warm, multiple tests were made with both chips with consistent results. There was a 1-2 minutes time between a test using a AM KLR chip and the factory test.

With the aftermarket chip, knock count was quite high which started all of this..

Obviously, this is a single AM KLR chip. I wonder if anyone else using the knock counter and a AM KLR chip has experienced odd knock count or a similar experience.

SO you "can" just run the DME chip and have a STOCK chip in the KLR with no problems/issues with performance??? Why do they give you Chips for both then??
Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CDH-CTT
SO you "can" just run the DME chip and have a STOCK chip in the KLR with no problems/issues with performance??? Why do they give you Chips for both then??
Our software works with the stock KLR chip. If you want to change boost, just control it externally.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

oh ok..... that makes sense.... thanks

Quick Reply: If you are using a KLR Knock counter, read this.