Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Timing Belt Tensioning woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 11:39 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Timing Belt Tensioning woes

I have almost got the car back together.

I bought two different optibelt (similar to krikit) tools to set tension (one is 0-35lbs and the other is 30-150lbs).

I never loosed the balance shaft belt. I can repeatedly get 28 pounds on the 0-35 tool and under 30 using the 30-150 tool. This seems like a good thing.

When I set the tension on the timing belt, I can get it to a tension setting of 40. I can repeat this measurement over and over.

Unfortunately, where my problems start is that I am turning the engine over by hand (good news it it seems to have a lot of compression). As i do this i have been measuring the tension on the belt every 4 to 6 inches of movement. As the engine turns, the tension in the belt changes.

Should I set the tention so that my minimum measured value is 40?

Also, 40lbs just seems awefully loose. I the center, I can move the belt about 1cm up and down at 40lbs.

As rule-of-thumb, I understand that a belt should be able to twist about 90 degrees when tensioned correctly. Using this rule of thimb, 40lbs seems about right. Also, with the balance shaft belt (which was tightened at a shop with the real tool) the 90 degree rule works too.

Any advice??

TIA
-Dana
Old 01-22-2003, 12:44 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
You have to set it, roll the motor over several times, check it, adjust it, the repeat. You want it at 40 no matter where the belt sits.

It will also stretch, so when you re-tension, set it the same way and it will strech a little more and be perfect. I run mine at 36 (starting at 40), and they are quiet and not loose at all. If they drop below 34, I snug them up. I check them every 5000 miles.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Tensioning woes