951 with a DTA P8PRO management..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Aegean racer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 951 with a DTA P8PRO management..?

Hey guys,

Have you seen this management system installed in a 951? Or in another Porsche? What is your opinion?
I am thinking about it for my 951 S with long-term goals of various turbo upgrades.

thanks, Peter
Old 01-17-2003, 12:35 AM
MySwiss
Pro

I don't have it yet but I have been seriously looking in to it for the past couple of months.The main reason is cost and options that it offers.I'm very interested in Danno's kit but because of the cost of his system (map2 or Link1) the DTA makes more sense for us in Canada.The only draw back with the DTA is the fact that it can not use your existing reference or speed sensor as a trigger.You must fabricate a bracket and install a new crank trigger,which slightly adds to the cost and time of install. O yea,don't forget it's not plug and play so you do need to spend a few hours installing the DTA plus you will have to fabricate your own intake or buy one.

By the way the DTA system can be had for around 800$ (us) plus
70$ 3 bar map sensor
100$ crank trigger
100$ to fabricate your intake
10$ for the connector pins
40$ for the lap top connector for tuning
Old 01-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Aegean racer
Intermediate

Who is the DTA distributor in Canada? The prices you quoted are very good, and I think we can get a starting program from the guy in US who has a 951 with this management. He quoted me around $2200 for the complete kit, except the bracket for the crank sensor. The crank wheel was included.
But the bracket shouldn't be that hard!

Peter
Old 01-17-2003, 11:18 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure about the price. is it for the smaller E48EXP ECU or the P8 PRO?
with wire loom or not?

Konstantin
Old 01-17-2003, 11:27 PM
MySwiss
Pro

You guys are right ,the prices that I got was for the standard system ( E48exp),which is plenty.The wide band feature on the Pro, is not that useful if one intends on tuning on the dyno.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:01 AM
wak951
1st Gear

I am also interest in a aftermarket ECU for my Porsche 944 Turbo and i have now check 4 diferent solution with near the same price.
I tink the plug and play map2 and Link1 solution from Danno is good for a fair price. You must only plug in and you can drive.
For additional features like ALS, flatshift or waterspray or waterinjection you need an other solution.
I have check manual and software from LinkPlus, Autronic, DTA and Haltech.

1: Autronic has verry good boost management. The Software is DOS based but works under Windows. The software and manual is easily to understand and have a good online help, but you can not use the standard Trigger and Idle Valve. The price is about USD 1310 with standard harness and integrated Boost Sensor.

2: DTA P8Pro ECU has additional Features like Traction Control. The Software is Windows Based but not so easy to understand for me like the Autronic. The manual that i get is verry poor and you can also not work with standard Triggers and Idle Valve. The price with 3 Bar boost sensor but without harness is about USD 1500.

3: LinkPlus ECU have a good Windows based Software and Manual and for me is good to understand. The ECU works with standard Trigger and Idle Valve. The price with standard harness and integrated boost sensor is about USD 1450

4: Haltech E11 ECU is my favorit. The Software and manual is verry goog and easily to understand and you can use the standard Trigger and Idle valve. The E11 ECU is the most flexible ECU with Trigger and I/O features. The price include standard harness and 3bar Boost sensor is about USD 1530.

For all ECU you need an additional Single ECU Dwell ignitor for about 60-100 USD the you can not drive directly the Ignition Coil like the standard ECU.

So you can see the price for the ECU is about 1300-1500USD and some houres work to build in and tune the ECU.

Best regards from Switzerland

Karl
Old 01-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

no wide band sensor and no traction control on the E11.
also I heard that the older Halltech were NOt very reliable. i do not know about the new one.

Konstantin
Old 01-19-2003, 12:04 AM
fusionsport
Instructor

I am DTA dealer and the system will work very well with any Porsche. I currently have a wiring harness that drops in to a 944na or t, along with an added harness for the 2 or 4 wheelspeed sensors you need for the launch and traction control. Another key featur is the data logging, which will log 8 inputs(user selectable) for up to 25 minutes, which while isnt massive, is plenty. Below is a sample price list, I normally sell my unterminated harness for 400.00, but for the 44 I have done enough now that I know where things go and in cases where a customer wants a change it is a simple matter for them to email me a measurement or two and/or a small drawing. Most 44 sensors will work with the ecu, but where a customer wants a custom touch, say a crank trigger on the pulley instead of off the flywheel, it isnt a big deal to simply put the proper connector on the proper end. My harnesses are the same materials and quality of the MOTEC harnesses, using Tefzel mil-spec wire, ITT/Cannon multi-pin firewall fitting, and completely shrink wrapped for protection. It is a true drop-in harness- requiring only that you remove the oem harness and ecu, and fit the replacement right in- this leaves the option obviously of re-fitting the oem harness/ecu and using the DTA on another car. The prices below reflect what I would describe as a typical track car set up, using individual coils per cylinder, most of the factory sensors, and little drama to the installation

P8Pro ecu- 1500.00
Harness with all sitches etc for t/c 900.00
Harness without 700.00
Air temp sensor 33.00
Map sensor 3.0 bar 120.00
1.5 bar 120.00
(I do have a source for a less expensive MAP unit, but this is the one DTA recommends)
4cyl Coil pack 150.00
Crank Wheel 68.00
(You can keep the OEM senders, but many people like the sensor on the crank pulley)
Crank Sender(for above) 45.00
Wheel Speed Sensor x2 or 4 if you want T/C 70.00 ea
Dyno Box(optional, allows very very fast dyno tuning) 293.00
Wideband o2(recommended) 150.00

Not the cheapest system in the world but I think the best value per dollar you will find. I have direct communication with DuCastel the American agent for the system, and have confidense in his support.

Anyone interested in DTA can reach me at dwalker460@comcast.net
Old 01-19-2003, 12:32 AM
fusionsport
Instructor

to answer a few questions-
-the E48, which is the more basic system, wonderful for a n/a but would not recommend on a turbo car, it does have launch control
-You can configure the DTA to use the oem sensors, but you have to make a modification to the ecu
-it is much much easier to make a crank wheel and pulley set-up
-I wouldnt use the distibutor on a 944 unless you absolutely had to
-you do not have to do anything to the intake at all to run DTA as the tps just plugs right in
-the software is incredibly easy to use and the owners manul is a bit simplistic but it will get you to the point you can start and run the car
-You can build your own harness, but I wouldnt recommend it, I will however sell the needed pieces to any that wish to do a proper harness
- the unit will do all your boost control with a pressure valve, and will use the stock idle valve, you do however get to throw away forever any kind of airflow metering device-barndoor or MAF- and that cleans the intake track up like you wouldnt believe
Old 01-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

according to the European dealer the Stock Harness can be very easily modified so it is not nececary to buy the very expensive DTA Harness.
why do you not recomend to build our own harness?
BTW Autronic comes with all above INCL the harness for the same money (or little less)
What is teh advandage of the DTA except that is it a windows based software and not DOS.

Konstantin
Old 01-19-2003, 04:34 PM
white 944 turbo
Instructor

How does that traction control work on the DTA? Is it as simple as boost adjustment in different rpm's or something else.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:26 PM
fusionsport
Instructor

-the traction control on the DTA is based on a user defined map and has a wet and dry mode, as well as launch control. Basically it cuts ignition to bring the slip differential to the desired point- in ex- if you decide no more than 25 percent slip between driven(rear) and undriven(front) wheels, then when the rear wheels begin to slip, say powering out of a corner, the computer cuts the cylinders in order to meet the parameters without overkilling the motor- thus you get maximum acceleration out of the corner with minumum slip. It DOES NOT take away throttle control from the driver- feed in more throttle and it will maintain the slip ratio between the wheels.
- the stock harness CAN be converted but will take you a long long time, as you will need a pinout of the oem ecu, and even then you will have to run your own wires for the switches, MAP, Air Temp, and wheelspeed sensor. YOU CANNOT use the oem ABS sensors as there are too many teeth on the ABS wheels for the ecu to process accurately
- I do not recommend you build your own harness as most people seem to want to just run down to the auto parts store and buy a spool of 16ga wire, butt splice everything together, then ring me up to complain it doesnt work. It is so much easier for me to supply you with a harness that you simply drop in and plug up, with proper connectors and harnessmaking techniques, however I will supply you with the correct wire, terminals, etc to build your own harness should you wish to.
-I am not sure of your pricing on the Autronic system, but there are alternatives to the P8Pro system- the E48 for example is around 1000 USD and the DTA harness for it is around 400.00 USD, but keep in mind that that is a generic harness and not a custom drop-in unit- I also wouldnt recommend the E48 for turbo cars.

I had a customer who had a car-stereo guy who is an "expert" at automotive wiring install his DTA and "build" a harness for him in a 2002 BMW racecar.This is a guy the car owner trusted and had known for years. NONE of it was done correctly. First he hacked the OEM BMW harness, which was a bad idea, but he left the wires he couldnt figure out just jumbled up there in a rats nest. He had the coil out for #5 cyl tied to the ALS, and the crank sender was wired wrong, and the TPS was completely screwed up- the BMW is/was fly by wire and uses 2 TPSs. It took me about three minutes before I decided to rip the "harness" out and re-do it. It now works fine and if I can find the digi-cam I will post some pics of the new harness. This is not to say that many many people who take their time and practice proper wiring technique couldnt do as good or a better job than someone such as myself, its just that I do not recommend you build your own harness if one is available. My harness allows you to swap out the OEM ecu and harness and plug in the new one in a matter of hours, and be ready to go dyno the motor in a weekend. And should you decide to sell the car, the oem harness and pieces go right back on and the ecu can be re-programmed to fit another car, no matter what type it is, needing only to modify or replace the harness.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:13 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Does your harness drive the stock gauges?
Old 01-22-2003, 02:13 AM
fusionsport
Instructor

Actually I havent had a customer keep the stock dash yet but am doing one soon and believe the stock tach will read the tach output.

Quick Reply: 951 with a DTA P8PRO management..?