More clock drama... wtf.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More clock drama... wtf.

Hokay, so my Dad being the PO of my car, put in place of the clock, a narrowband air fuel monitor. well, I could care less, and since I put a wideband in, I have no need for the narrowband. I went and bought the proper connectors from Porsche to put the right attachments into the connector, put the wires back in where they need to go, and plugged in a clock, and it worked beautifully! it's keeping time, buttons work, etc.

However, there's a problem. I turned on the backlight to test, and it lit up just fine in the garage with the engine off. When I back the car out, I turn on the lights, with the engine running, it's backlit for a second, and then the LCD blacks out. shut off the engine, it returns fine, time still kept, you can backlight it when you turn on the lights with the engine off...

does ANYONE have ANY idea why it'd black out the LCD when the lights are on and the engine running?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man if the clock is your biggest issue...you must be doing something right!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Hokay, so my Dad being the PO of my car, put in place of the clock, a narrowband air fuel monitor. well, I could care less, and since I put a wideband in, I have no need for the narrowband. I went and bought the proper connectors from Porsche to put the right attachments into the connector, put the wires back in where they need to go, and plugged in a clock, and it worked beautifully! it's keeping time, buttons work, etc.

However, there's a problem. I turned on the backlight to test, and it lit up just fine in the garage with the engine off. When I back the car out, I turn on the lights, with the engine running, it's backlit for a second, and then the LCD blacks out. shut off the engine, it returns fine, time still kept, you can backlight it when you turn on the lights with the engine off...

does ANYONE have ANY idea why it'd black out the LCD when the lights are on and the engine running?
Just out of curiosity, does your cig lighter socket retain power when the engine is running?

Clock blacks out when power is removed.... so perhaps you have one of those electrical gremlins I hear so much about! Or perhaps there is a problem with the clock, causing an internal short when the lights are turned on?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Just out of curiosity, does your cig lighter socket retain power when the engine is running?

Clock blacks out when power is removed.... so perhaps you have one of those electrical gremlins I hear so much about! Or perhaps there is a problem with the clock, causing an internal short when the lights are turned on?
the cig lighter did before today, Haven't checked...

and as far as the clock being my biggest issue, it's not... that would be the radiator I just ordered...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

cig lighter works. and I guess it shuts off power completely to the clock, because it doesn't keep time. so lame.

Quick Reply: More clock drama... wtf.