Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SO CLOSE....NO BOOST PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SO CLOSE....NO BOOST PLEASE HELP!!

I HAVE LOW BOOST ISSUES!! Here is a little background....

I put a an engine together put it in the car hooked everything up. I have installed all new gaskets on exhaust which is a full 3"
Here is what happened. The first time I started this engine it started right up and purred like a kitten!!! It did not hesitate or even try to stall to my amazement. No oil leaks so far and good oil pressure between 4 and 5.

Here is the problem I had 1Bar of boost when I first started the car. I did not even set the boost yet... After 10 minutes of running the factory boost guage went down to .4 where it goes and stays everytime I start the car???

I have all new lindsey vacuum hoses /a brand new 38mm DP wastegate/ black **** MBC with new hoses/ VDO boost guage/ MAF

Turning the black **** has no effect on either the Factory boost guage or the VDO....actually the VDO guage is not even moving when I turn off the car or start it!!!??

For the boost guage I tapped into the line that runs from the manifold to the KLR everything is ziptied nice and tight everywhere. I have checked the vaccuum diagrams and rechecked them several times.

Wastegate is brand new and yes I did swap the lines on the wastegate since the diagram on Lindseys website is for there wastegate which is opposite.

I am out of ideas can anybody outthere help??? Is my tial stuck? Do I have an exuast leak I dont here one? I am afraid to blow anything up and have not taken if for a drive yet. WHY CANT I ADJUST THE BOOST???
Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Are the bolts tight on the diaphragm side of wastegate ? I think the tial also has allens like LR one. And check the black *** its diaphragm could also be busted.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Clown
Instructor

Ok thanks for the input. Everything is very tight...I just spent the last hour retightening things. Things are scary tight now. I feel I might start stripping bolts. All gaskets are new on wastegate and wastegate is new. I have not checked the diapragm on MBC not sure how to go about that? This turbo stuff is kind of new to me. Oh ya the boost level stayed the same even after my tightening spree.

Am I just overlooking something here?

Please excuse my ignorance but what should the dash booost guage read when at idle? I though it should read close to 1 bar but now I am thinking maybe not. Remember I have never driven this car yet so not sure how everything should look.

What should the VDO guage read? Should these guages move when I turn the MBC **** when at idle?

Or is boost only indicated when reving the engine. I feel positive I have everything hooked up properly.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 AM
ruflife
Advanced

At idle, my gauge normally reads around .4 after idle kickdown . The mbc **** will have no effect on the gauge at idle. Looking at your symptoms I'm not sure you have a problem. Was the idle higher when you first started the car ( 1bar ) then when the idle kickdown occured did it drop to .4 ? If I were you I would turn the mbc all the way down and drive the car gently, kind of feel it out. If something is wrong You'll know in the first 100 ft. If nothings wrong increase the mbc by half turns. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ignition on, car not running = 1 bar
Idle =0.4 bar

Boost will not come on until around 3,000 RPM when driving (under load). Then it will take off quickly so slowly dial in the MBC until you get to around 15 lbs. Reving the engine will not show much for boost, it needs to be under load driving.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 AM
ruflife
Advanced

Is your vdo boost gauge a vacuum/boost guage or just a boost gauge? Remember at idle, your creating vacuum not boost, hence the non moving boost gauge at idle.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Clown
Instructor

Ok that is the same concluslion I was coming to as well. The VDO is just a boost guage not vacuum. I guess I will turn the **** down (counter clockwise) and take her out for a spin slowly turning it up as I go.

I know the questiom must have seemed odd to you guys but like I said I bought this car in peices and have been putting this thing back together for the past 4 months. I also have never driven a 944Turbo. This should be interesting!!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 AM
SteveIX51
Advanced

Here is the problem I had 1Bar of boost when I first started the car. I did not even set the boost yet... After 10 minutes of running the factory boost guage went down to .4 where it goes and stays everytime I start the car???
That is what it is supposed to do.

The VDO is just a boost guage not vacuum.
Not true, but a common misperception. The factory boost gauge reads absolute manifold pressure, so anything under 1 bar is actually vacuum. You are not "boosting" until you exceed 1 bar. What you see when you first turn the key is that the gauge reads 1 bar initially (i.e., atmospheric pressure), then drops to about .4 bar to idle. This is not boosting, you cannot possibly be building boost at idle.

Bottom line, I don't think you have a problem, I think you are just misreading the boost gauge. A lot of people get confused by it the first time.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Well sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere because if there is one it sets round the 1bar at (no boost no vacuum) .
Old 03-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clown
Ok that is the same concluslion I was coming to as well. The VDO is just a boost guage not vacuum. I guess I will turn the **** down (counter clockwise) and take her out for a spin slowly turning it up as I go.
The boost gauge measure the pressure in Bars. One bar is normal atmospheric pressure at sea level. When you turn on your ignition, without starting the engine, you should see about 1 bar ...normal atmospheric pressure at sea level. If you see a gauge that measures below one bar, you are seeing a vacuum. So, 0.4 bar is about the normal vacuum you see at idle.

If you want to adjust for altitude above sea level, here is a chart.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ure-d_462.html
Old 03-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ good advice. Look at your dash/stock boost gauge at startup it should center around 1 when the key is on. When setting your mbc start low and try and set in 4th gear. Setting in 1-2 at 15 always had me at 17+ in 4th and 5th
Old 03-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks guys...both gauges are working fine. All it took was an actual drive around the block to figure that out. Silly me. Now I have to deal with the tuning of this car and the white smoke I am seeing out of the tailpipe...!!?? Just changed the head gasket and oil cooler gaskets before putting this engine into the car and dont know what would be causing a coolant into oil leak which I am assuming is the problem. I also hear a strange sound on the drivers side when reaching full boost and then power cuts out??? Kind of like a weird squeel ??
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Water or white smoke out the exhaust is normal for a car that is first started after sitting for some time. If it appears after you drive it for 20 minutes then you have a problem. Squeal on full boost and power loss sounds like an intercooler pipe coupler or exhaust leak. Go around and tighten clamps and exhaust bolts. Hope you used new sealing rings on the exhaust. A broken blade on a turbo will make a sound like a cat growling, first hand knowledge of that.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks Brian, I thought I had everything pretty tight when I installed the exhaust, but I will try tightening everything again. I did use all new rings and seals when I put it all back together. Oh and yes I have not driven it for 20 minutes yet because I need to register the car first. I plan on draining the Oil soon to see if there is any coolant in there. I don't mind replacing the head gasket again but it was just changed before I put the engine back in the car. The oil cooler seals and gaskets were all changed as well. I just dont think I am having a leak in either of those two places and its not the turbo either because I run a dry setup. I think if there is a leak it is leaking in a very unusual location but not to familiar with these cars??

Quick Reply: SO CLOSE....NO BOOST PLEASE HELP!!