Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DME troubleshooting question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 06:06 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Post DME troubleshooting question

The car is stock except for an APE MAF. I have spoken to them and performed tests on their stuff. Previously, the rheostat was bad, so I thought the problem had been found. I was wrong.

The car will start and them immediately stall.
I have gone through the list in the factory manual, and I am only getting 1.89 volts at each injector. I removed the connectors and checked it at the contacts. This tells me two things: the wiring is good, but the DME is bad. Am I right? I perfomed the test with the key in the run position. The injectors are new. Speed/Ref sensors are new. I set the gap with the engine out of the car.

Think I am going to take my lovely wife to dinner and forget about this beast for a while.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:48 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be your DME relay since the injectors get their power signal direct from the relay. The DME doesn't do anything with the injectors except for grounding the other side.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:49 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Danno:

Thanks, I will check that. It is a new relay, but I have a good used one for a spare. Because it is new, I had dismissed it as being a potential culprit.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:59 PM
phlip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same sympton with a car in my shop acouple of months ago.The only way I ever check for injector pulse is with an L.E.D. during cranking. after checking that, crank sensors, and everything else electrical I could think of I decided to check fuel pressure. Apparently the fuel pressure regulator had failed in a mode I would only describe as slammed tottaly shut. As a result fuel pressure skyrocketed and pegged my 80 psi guage, flooding the engine with fuel.I know it sounds strange, but I have friends that have been dealer techs for years that wasted more time on this than I did. This is now one of the very first things I check when I have any running problem on any bosch fuel injection system, including my own.
Hope I could help Phil
Old 01-19-2003, 06:59 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Phil:

Thanks, but the FPR is new and it checks out good. I tried the other DME relay and still have only 1.89 volts at each injector.

I am still searching for the answer, but really suspect the DME even more now.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:15 AM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If any parts off of my 86 will help you find the problem let me know. I'll be home till about 5pm on Monday.

I quess this would help. Home 621-4687, cell-586-5976
Old 01-21-2003, 10:03 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Bryan:

Thanks for the offer. I am not sure what to substitute yet. The relay provides voltage to the injectors and the TPS from what I can determine from the wiring diagrams. Swapping relays does nothing to alter the voltage. What is really strange is that I get 12v at the DME and KLR connectors in the floorboard.

Electrical diagnostics has never been something I was particularly good at.

I am losing what little was left of my enthusiasm for this car.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy the relais and even if it is not the problem you can keep it sooner or later you will need it.
I had this problems for ten years it happend once every two years!!

Konstantin

Quick Reply: DME troubleshooting question