Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

power steering delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 03:17 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check this out: <a href="http://www.flaming-river.com" target="_blank">http://www.flaming-river.com</a>

Most of the stuff is for Mustangs (some Corvette and MGB). But you can find a model that has similar dimensions to a 944 rack.

I still think the best bet is to install the manual rack from a 944. You'll have to change the tie-rod ends, but that's it I think.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:40 AM
My944Turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My old 83 944 had the manual steering rack and it worked great...no real additional upper body strength needed. In the parking lot it needed a little, but at any speed above 5 mph it was great. The feel of that car...darn. On my 87 944 turbo, it is of course power steering. But to make a long story short, I took the belt off the power steering pump to in effect give me manual steering. And "OH MY" was it a lot harder than my 83. It wasn't terrible except that taking corners, even at speed were a huge chore. Definitley for me at least it was a safety issue, maybe my rack just wasn't properly lubricated, but it sure wasn't easy to turn it. Makes me realize how much I miss that 83, I really did love the feel of that car. Oh well, it's gone now, no looking back....Good Luck on your qwest though.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:44 PM
kellyk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I retrofitted my '86 951 to a fully manual rack from an earlier 944. When I bought the car the rack and pumps was trash and the cost to replace them was outragous. The manual rack provide much better feedback, but it does wear you out. My car is mostly used on the track now and with a small diameter MOMO wheel and 275 x 17 front tires you need Popeye fore-arms to turn this thing at less than 10 MPH. When the car had 225's on the front and 8" wheels, it was a lot eaiser.

Quick Reply: power steering delete