944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Attn: Heavy pressure-plate users...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I must know one thing how does the Kep S2 in clamping force and pedal effort compare to a Spec stage 3+ ?

Second no one has asked or checked the pin that holds it into place it could be bent or worn ever so slightly or the holes the pin goes threw in the casting could be out of round. In any case im going to guess I WILL break in the same spot. something is causeing it to contact more on that one side causing it to not be as strong as it should. If you go threw it and do not find any of the areas I spoke of out of tolerance I would machine down that one side to make contact as the side is that is not breaking.

Goodluck
Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many people sit holding the clutch down at traffic lights and such?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do. Saved my life once.

Glanced in the mirror to see a car coming up behind me at over 55mph. Side stepped the clutch and pointed toward the median....barely got out of the way as the car that was behind me smashed into the car that had been in front of me!!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theedge
It is a fatigue failure. Fatigue is number of cycles, so you are actually doing less damage keeping it depressed than you would by depressing it, putting it in neutral, and depressing it again to put it in gear.

Aside from that, I'm with Cole. I was taught from the time I was a kid to always have the car in gear, because you never know when you'll have to move in an emergency.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
It is a fatigue failure. Fatigue is number of cycles, so you are actually doing less damage keeping it depressed than you would by depressing it, putting it in neutral, and depressing it again to put it in gear.

Aside from that, I'm with Cole. I was taught from the time I was a kid to always have the car in gear, because you never know when you'll have to move in an emergency.
Well if you really want to get down to it, holding it down is just moving the carnage to your thrust bearing....
Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Well if you really want to get down to it, holding it down is just moving the carnage to your thrust bearing....
Yea there seems to be the two different schools of thought on this. I've always been told to never sit at a light with the clutch on the floor in any manual transmission car because it just puts excessive wear on the throw out bearing.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Yea there seems to be the two different schools of thought on this. I've always been told to never sit at a light with the clutch on the floor in any manual transmission car because it just puts excessive wear on the throw out bearing.
... and on the crank thrust bearing.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i know alot of ppl do it. its like the worst thing.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Cole
Drifting

Guess its a personal choice. Wear out a part every 50-80-100k miles or more, or get seriously injured by not being able to get out of the way.

FWIW,One of my Jeeps had a stock clutch in every way with 280k on it. Included wheeling the Rockies ands sitting with it pinned to the floor at every traffic light during its life.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
Guess its a personal choice. Wear out a part every 50-80-100k miles or more, or get seriously injured by not being able to get out of the way.

FWIW,One of my Jeeps had a stock clutch in every way with 280k on it. Included wheeling the Rockies ands sitting with it pinned to the floor at every traffic light during its life.
Measure the axial play on the crankshafts sometime....
Old 12-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Cole
Drifting

Measure the axial play on the crankshafts sometime....
Wtf does it matter if the engine lasts hundreds of thousands of miles?

I'd still rather put myself in a tactically safer position to survive. Doubt my obituary will say "but his 200k mile car had good axial play on the crankshaft"
Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

It won't?! WTF Cole!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

To second INURGURL951's question, anyone have this problem with a SPEC clutch? I have one of these going in as well so this thread has me a bit spooked.

Last edited by 74goldtarga; 12-17-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:52 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

74goldtarga I haven't had any problems with mine other then the original one that broke. The car is modded and gets 10 hours or so of track time a year and kinda of a daily driver, been strolling on the new one for 5-6 years now. I just wanted to know if it was more or less intense the Kep then the Spec?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King

Back in the good ol' days of clutch cables, the advice was different depending on who you asked and what failures they'd experienced. Ever had a clutch cable break?

Quick Reply: Attn: Heavy pressure-plate users...