Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

bang for buck EBC

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:20 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I briefly had a GReddy PRofec B-spec on my car. The only real noticeable difference (and it was noticeable) was the potential for much quicker spool up.

You can program the EBC to keep the solenoid shut until it sees a certain amount of boost, THEN open, thus spooling the turbo up a little quicker. An MBC, on the other hand, is open all the time. If I had the gain setting turned up, it spooled up fast, but it had a tendency to overshoot my desired boost level (spike) and then settle down.

It's not SUPER noticeable... but it's noticeable. I don't know that I'd consider it worth the price difference based on that alone.

What I liked about the EBC over the MBC was that I could have it set, and then with the touch of a button, turn it off, or turn it up (with the 2nd boost setting).

I'd still have it had I not killed it (a zip tie failed, let the solenoid wires drop, they hit the manifold, melted, and shorted the driver circuit out) but I put an MBC in its place (didn't feel like dropping another couple hundred bucks) and haven't really felt like I lost anything. In fact I prefer the slightly slower but smoother spool up of the MBC.

Thanks for the info, I'm soooo tempted to go EBC but I can't bring myself to dump $300+ if what I have works just fine and no major performance gain can be had
Old 12-27-2013, 06:33 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Hey bruce, What did you end up with mate?

I mounted mine on off the firewall sort of. I had a thread sticking out near where the cruise control unit sits i let it hang there and used a piece of rubber and treaded it as a nut and holds it in place. (looks like where the factory zip tie would go on but theres no cables running there.
I think I know where you mean but was thinking I might use that spot for adj FPR when I fit CEP fuel rail and M tune. Do you have a pic or could you MMS me one ?

I ended up with an e-boost(original not 2). I haven't tested the solenoid yet but will before I mount it. Looks like it basically the same as eboost2 but with out the in gear boost(that we can't use anyway). Will definitely need your help setting it up lol. I'm not even sure best method to hook it up to Tial. Instructions show 2 methods for a dual port.

I have holidays from Jan 4th so am hoping to fit Tial and eboost then.

Quick Reply: bang for buck EBC