944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

bang for buck EBC

Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think anything beyond 300$ and it should do a little other stuff like shift lite turbo timer even afm controller.
I like pnumatic boost control and leaving the klr cycling valve intact i found i had pretty solid 21 psi and it it drop to 18 psi on bad fuel so all the klr jaz was still working.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iridium
The thing that drives me NUTS is that I have never found a stand alone boost controller that would allow you to map boost against the throttle position sensors. It's what kills driveability compared to OEM or full stand-alone systems like MOTEC. We just get full boost, all the time, rather than being able to give 50% throttle and get 50% boost...
The HKS EVC can do that I believe.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:24 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
i think anything beyond 300$ and it should do a little other stuff like shift lite turbo timer even afm controller.
I like pnumatic boost control and leaving the klr cycling valve intact i found i had pretty solid 21 psi and it it drop to 18 psi on bad fuel so all the klr jaz was still working.
What's that?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 AM
GrantM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone use the Greddy PRofec B-Spec II? I have a used one sitting in a drawer that I have not installed yet.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:51 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantM
Does anyone use the Greddy PRofec B-Spec II? I have a used one sitting in a drawer that I have not installed yet.
A few people do. i like the design but compaired to the GFB one, the price for features GFB wins.

If you install it and want a HI/LO switch, tell me and ill do a quick write up on how to do it. I did it for a mate.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

there are several pneumatic set ups
and a very effective one is run a regulated supply to the close side of dual port waste gate . along with the full factory plumbing set up as well as a inline check/boost enhancer .. .
you set the check valve on the bench to about 13 psi and you slowly wind on the the other regulator until the boost comes up.. the boost enhancer will keep the gate compleatly closed until you have 13 psi the the waste gate and spring and the pressure differences sets the boost ...
the cycling valve bleeds of a few psi of boost on the way to the waste gate wich scales the signal down and increases the boost .. it any thing go''s like temp of knock the cyling valve will close and then the full signal is sent to the waste gate ..
Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

there are several pneumatic set ups
and a very effective one is run a regulated supply to the close side of dual port waste gate . along with the full factory plumbing set up as well as a inline check/boost enhancer .. .
you set the check valve on the bench to about 13 psi and you slowly wind on the the other regulator until the boost comes up.. the boost enhancer will keep the gate compleatly closed until you have 13 psi the the waste gate and spring and the pressure differences sets the boost ...
the cycling valve bleeds of a few psi of boost on the way to the waste gate wich scales the signal down and increases the boost .. it any thing go''s like temp of knock the cyling valve will close and then the full signal is sent to the waste gate ..
Ahh yes i get ya.
I'm looking for something that i can adjust boost in the car and have multiple boost settings.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

You mean stuff like this?
Gear based boost
Over boost shutoff
Aux output (programmable by RPM and Boost)
Programmable warning lights (2 out puts programmable by PRM or Boost)
Audible Alarm (Programmable by RPM or Boost)
Correction for high RPM Boost Rolloff (nice for K26/6)
6 programmable boost settings
External input for controls – like sequential boost switching
And of course lots of ways to tweak the boost control!

I tend to use either the highly programmable stuff like the eboost2 or the MBC. When used with standalones and a good dual port wastegate the MBC does a pretty good job regulating boost.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:39 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive been using my apexi avcr for years. without any problems and excellent performance,
I am sure you can find a used setup for around 175 to 250 $
Old 12-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Pauly.
Where did you end up mounting your solenoid ?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Gizmo also have a rpm based one I see, the IBC-R
Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

besides being able to program it, is there a noticable difference between a MBC and EBC when driving? does the EBC control boost better?
Old 12-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I always wonder that anyone would complicate an otherwise pretty bullet-proof mechanical boost system by interposing an electronic circuit that is made of bubble gum wrappers and a solenoid that cost at most $1.00.....they're junk.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:33 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
besides being able to program it, is there a noticable difference between a MBC and EBC when driving? does the EBC control boost better?
I briefly had a GReddy PRofec B-spec on my car. The only real noticeable difference (and it was noticeable) was the potential for much quicker spool up.

You can program the EBC to keep the solenoid shut until it sees a certain amount of boost, THEN open, thus spooling the turbo up a little quicker. An MBC, on the other hand, is open all the time. If I had the gain setting turned up, it spooled up fast, but it had a tendency to overshoot my desired boost level (spike) and then settle down.

It's not SUPER noticeable... but it's noticeable. I don't know that I'd consider it worth the price difference based on that alone.

What I liked about the EBC over the MBC was that I could have it set, and then with the touch of a button, turn it off, or turn it up (with the 2nd boost setting).

I'd still have it had I not killed it (a zip tie failed, let the solenoid wires drop, they hit the manifold, melted, and shorted the driver circuit out) but I put an MBC in its place (didn't feel like dropping another couple hundred bucks) and haven't really felt like I lost anything. In fact I prefer the slightly slower but smoother spool up of the MBC.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Hey Pauly.
Where did you end up mounting your solenoid ?
Hey bruce, What did you end up with mate?

I mounted mine on off the firewall sort of. I had a thread sticking out near where the cruise control unit sits i let it hang there and used a piece of rubber and treaded it as a nut and holds it in place. (looks like where the factory zip tie would go on but theres no cables running there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bang for buck EBC