Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking For a Particular 951

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Brumos. They'll know what happened to the car. If not, call the Snodgrass's. His son Paul, I believe still lives in town. They are car people. They'll help you. Brumos likely handled the sale, so call them as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Taymar
Racer

I know this thread is a year old, and you may actually have found it and now be the person selling it, but I think I found it on autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...14134690&Log=0

I googled the vin and found this thread so though I'd give you a heads up.

Last edited by Taymar; 04-15-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
ham sammich
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for posting up, I really appreciate it. I currently don't own it but am trying to figure out if I can get it after seeing it this morning. This is definitely the car and is almost exactly as it was last I saw it just with some mechanical work having been done. I'll keep you all updated as I know more. Until then, does anyone want to provide some insight on the price and any maintenance that I should ask about considering that it recently crossed 120k?

Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your Uncle. But it sounds like all the memories and times you shared with him are really great.

Wow! Taymar - nice, you found it! Try to get it as best you can! If not, ask for contact info of the next owner.

Good luck!

All be safe, have a good one!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Taymar
Racer

Very cool. I hope you can make it work out, that'd be an awesome end to the story if you're able to buy it back.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ham sammich
Thank you so much for posting up, I really appreciate it. I currently don't own it but am trying to figure out if I can get it after seeing it this morning. This is definitely the car and is almost exactly as it was last I saw it just with some mechanical work having been done. I'll keep you all updated as I know more. Until then, does anyone want to provide some insight on the price and any maintenance that I should ask about considering that it recently crossed 120k?

Timing belt service? When? How many miles on it? (be prepared to do this immediately if it's been 20-30k, just to be safe). How many miles on the clutch? Leaks? Check the fuel lines for signs of cracking, the rest is pretty much the same as any other car. Let me know if you want a second set of eyes. I live in town.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

According to the ad...

Was serviced by the dealer @ 116,000 miles, has had recent full timing belt/pulley service, engine mounts, control arms and more. 100% mechancially sound, no leaks. Perfect compression numbers. Tires and brakes have plenty of wear life remaining.
Assuming they have records of all this, plus knowing the car has sentimental value - I don't think their asking price is too far off the mark IMO. From the pics anyways the car looks pretty clean.

I'd ask about any leaks, clutch condition, fuel lines, like ehall suggested above me.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If that work was done at Brumos, and the guy has the receipts, you're good to go. BUT check on those fuel lines, especially the small u-shaped line. When that cracks, it's catastrophic, as are the others, BUT it's REALLY hard to see cracks in that one. Usually Breumos will reccomend replacing that line, if it hasn't been done in a year or two. A new one is 80 bucks, from a private vendor. It's a very simple change out, but you may as well get the guy down a hundred bucks, or three if none of the lines have been recently replaced.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Good luck on getting your uncles car back, but whatever you do, DO NOT TELL the seller the same story you told us. Once he knows how much the car means to you he's going to use it as leverage to get his full asking price
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by lee101315
Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Good luck on getting your uncles car back, but whatever you do, DO NOT TELL the seller the same story you told us. Once he knows how much the car means to you he's going to use it as leverage to get his full asking price
Exactly. Dont act too interested when you go see it. Keep a straight face and look it over well and use any flaw as barging to get the price down. Also bring someone older with you. Im not sure the seller will take you seriously if you just come alone.

I do think from the pictures its worth asking price.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
White_951
Rennlist Member

Great story! From your OP my first reaction was "This is gonna be like looking for a needle in a haystack"......
Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Great story.... +3 no NOT telling the seller that it HAS to be this car, or he'll feel that he can squeeze what he wants from you.

Re. your uncle: I've done some cycling with a few riders from Jacksonville, and there's some pretty serious cyclists in that town. -Easter sunday (last weekend) I rode a solo 100km round trip from St. Augustine up to JAX and back, but I think a few of the Southside JAX riders have been on every 100-mile-plus ride that I've done in the last year, and they're a great bunch...

Definitely keep us posted on how you get on... this looks like a nice car. My car's former owner (from new) has a place up there, so I associate the town with 951's.

Best of luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by carlege
Exactly. Dont act too interested when you go see it. Keep a straight face and look it over well and use any flaw as barging to get the price down.
Really? I understand negotiations pretty well having formally studied and practiced them, and agree this is generally true, that the poster's story can be used as leverage. Absolutely correct, and I certainly wouldn't lead with your story. But this implies knowledge of the current owner, his/her values, and objectives for the car deal. If it were a dealer selling the car, then we can be pretty certain the profit motive dominates. But as a private party deal, I'd feel the situation out a bit before formulating a negotiation plan. While it's true that both sides will try to maximize benefit, not all benefit is $$$. Just look around R/L for very sympathetic member to member sales or even giveaways if you need further evidence.

For example, an owner who regrets selling, who has a bond with the car, will want it to go to you rather than some other random buyer. Well, that was me when I sold my Miata, the first car I really cared about. I found a buyer who I thought really got the car, who would carry the torch. He and I are still in touch, as a matter of fact, some 4 years post sale. And yes, I turned down a higher offer. The $500 didn't matter to me. You've got a good story, so yes, it could be leverage against you, but with the right seller, it could be leverage for you.

A 951 is basically never a financially sound purchase, unless you're Lart or Josh B, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the bargaining aspect in any case. Purchase the car, have a good experience, and leave the PO in a positive state so you can always go back for records or ownership chain or whatever. The $500/$1000 here or there in the big picture is immaterial. It sounds like you'll have the car a long time. It sounds like you are young, and that you should make more money next year than you made last. If you don't believe that, walk away. Otherwise, fu** the dollars, get the car.

And let us know. We're all waiting, fingers crossed.

Tim
Old 04-18-2012, 12:17 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tim-C.
You've got a good story, so yes, it could be leverage against you, but with the right seller, it could be leverage for you.
Counting on the person to have a strong bond with the car and wanting to send it off to a more trusting future owner is very risky considering the fact it can be used against the buyer.

The safe bet is what i suggested.

Key word is "Dealer Serviced" i would venture to say that a self serviced car holds a stronger bond in the owners eyes than that of a dealer serviced car.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:52 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tim-C.
For example, an owner who regrets selling, who has a bond with the car, will want it to go to you rather than some other random buyer. Well, that was me when I sold my Miata, the first car I really cared about. I found a buyer who I thought really got the car, who would carry the torch. He and I are still in touch, as a matter of fact, some 4 years post sale. And yes, I turned down a higher offer.
Agree.

In fact the former owner of my 951 (who had it from new) and I are still in regular contact. He sold it to me PRECISELY because he knew that I was a 'car guy' and that I told him when we first met each other (17 years ago now) that I absolutely LOVED his car.. Ten years later he turned down a higher offer to sell it to me, and we agreed that he retains 'visitation rights'.

There are lots of things that can influence a negotiation. 'Reading' the seller is a big part of it. -If they're out for a buck no matter what, that's one thing. If they're selling it for their son who passed away shortly after buying the car, and "you look a lot like him, now that I come to think of it", then that's another.

Sometimes it's a poker game, sometimes you show your cards, but in this case, letting the seller know that he's sitting on something that you feel you MUST buy, and that no other car in the world is of interest to you... well, that puts them at an advantage. -If they're inclined to press their advantage, it probably just cost you a bunch.

Quick Reply: Looking For a Particular 951