Old 05-06-2003, 06:48 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Question Lexan Windshield?

I'm replacing the windshield on my 951 race car. The stock glass weigh about 24# (The new replacement was 26#). I decided to look at alternatives to reduce weight.

I'm working with a manufacturer to make Lexan windshield, this will be for race cars, and should reduce the weight by 12-14#. If I get 5 windshields made at once the price will drop to $325. Just wanted to post here to see if there is any interest.

I do not recommend using Lexan windshield for street driven cars.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:56 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
I may be interested, but does the price include mounting it to the window frame? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:03 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No, this is the price of the windshield. FOB Atlanta.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Laying lexan is not that hard but you do have issues with "ripples" in the finished product when it is heat formed. Heat forming is done when you lay a flat piece of lexan over a form (glass windshield) then use heating lamps to relieve the lexan sheet so it will form itself agenst the form.

Make sure you guy knows that the finish has to be clear and with out any ripples. I know the rear hatch lexan replacements do have a few ripples on the major bends but it is not that important for that application.

It is a good idea and I am not trying to put it down in any way, I just want to make sure there is no confusion between you and the manufacturer. If you ask him about that please keep us up to date. I know of at least one person down here in south florida that would like one.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:55 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Travis,

You are correct about the ripples, it's something I discussed with the manufacturer. They claim not to have any obstructions, but we shall see. Also, they were pushing Plexiglass as a subtitute to Lexan, but I declined due to safety concerns.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:55 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Plexiglass will give you a much clearer view but it will also shatter if hit hard enough. The lexan will deflect most but when hit hard enough will give and stress whiten.

I am in the plastics biz but on the injection molding side. I can't tell you all that much about vacuum forming and heat forming but I can give you the low down on any materials you might encounter. I had looked into doing the back lexan hatches but I just havent got around to mocking up some forms. To many projects up in the air right now and its a one man show around here.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:37 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Plexiglass is much easier to work with, however it's not safe (in my opinion) to be used for a windshield.

I don't think the manufacturer I'm working with will use vacuum forming for now, at least not the initial windshield.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

There is always the option of a plexiglass with one of the many 3m protective films. some of them are rated to stop a board at 200 mph (for hurricane/tornado use on your house windows). That might give you the ease of working with the plexiglass and just as high of an impact rating as the lexan.

Thats another one of the ideas I had for the hatch replacements. I never got around to researching it in depth but I did learn that the film was in existence.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested in the group buy, however, I was hoping to run the protective "tear offs" on my lexan windshield. Has anyone found a supplier for these yet? I understand that the tear offs will help the lexan windshield resist the dreaded scratching that they are susceptible to.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-07-2003, 02:35 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jeff,

I'm searching for the protective "tear offs" as well. I'll try couple of the Nascar suppliers.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:28 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Sounds good. If you find a supplier, I might even know of two others in Cincinnati who will be interested in the lexan windshields.

Jeff
Old 05-07-2003, 04:58 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jeff,

Are you interested in getting a windshield without the "tear offs"?

I'm trying to get five people to commit, otherwise I'll just get one done for my car and not worry about it. At this point the Lexan windshield is not an item I intend to offer as a product. This is a 1 time deal (for now anyway).
Old 05-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

I use Mylar Tear Offs on my Lexan windshield, same as used in NASCAR. I source mine from a local tuner.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

I am interested and it is looking like two of my other 944 Turbo racing friends are also interested. I received a tentative yes today from them and I expect a more firm response by a little bit later today.

Do you happen to know exactly what is required to install a lexan windshield in our cars? Do we just have a professional windshield installer install the windshield the same as a glass one? Or, is there a different approach we will need to follow? Does the lexan windshield need to be installed into a "frame" before it is installed into the car? Will we need to install windshield bracing? Any other unique installation requirements?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-08-2003, 07:21 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm having a windshield made for my personal car. If I'm satisfied with the results, I'll work on the group buy.

I came across a company that makes the tearoffs..

Check out: <a href="http://www.racingoptics.com" target="_blank">http://www.racingoptics.com</a>

I have not tried their products...

Quick Reply: Lexan Windshield?