Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Strange noise contest.....I'm still trying to figure this one out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 09:17 PM
Gary AZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Strange noise contest.....I'm still trying to figure this one out!

Her are the clues:

Noise - a brief screaching, almost like slipping power steering belt.... almost a metal scraping sound.... alomost a screaming whell bearing

When - Only when turning left...never right and never when going straight. Doesn't matter if under excelleration or just coasting and turning left...

What's been done - reviewed:

replaced power steering belt for grins..it was a little worn.

No leaks under the car...anywhere ( I hate to even put that in print)

No scrape marks, metal to metal hitting..nodda

Pulled front wheels..checked wheel bearings made sure everything was tightened properly.

Sounds like it's coming from the rear...

Anyone have a similar noise from a rear wheel bearing..haevn't checked them yet.

Remember..only when turning to the left...and generally not when the car is cold...and the sound goes away as soon as you make your left turn and straighten the car out.

ALL INPUT IS APPRECIATED!!!!
Old 08-29-2002, 02:17 AM
emilysgranny
Pro

Gary; From what you say it sure does sound like a rear wheel bearing. Just pull the wheel and try grabbing the stub axle and shaking it.If its bad ,you will know it. One other thing to check is the e brake inside the drum as there maybe something lose or worn or broken inside. HTH
Old 08-29-2002, 04:09 AM
951carter
Racer

try pulling the e-brake handle up a LITTLE bit while it is doing it and see if it shuts up
Old 08-29-2002, 04:34 PM
superjet.1
Pro

definatly a right rear wheel bearing,when turning left you load that bearing causing the noise.not a fun job!
Old 08-29-2002, 09:19 PM
Gary AZ
Advanced

I sure hope not... that will be an out of pocket repair. I don't hear the bearing noise any other time. No wineing sound on the hwy...and sometimes I can't get the sound to happen at all. Couple of things to try... lube up the sway bar bushings and also take a look in the disc drums at the emergency brake hdwr. While I have it open...any chance I would recognize a bad bearing while I have it apart?
Old 08-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Take off the rear rotors and check the e-brake shoes for adjustment.

I too, like Granny, am leaning towards a rear wheel bearing. Unfortuately, they are not fun to replace since they are pressed in. It can be done for pretty cheap. Rear bearing set will run you about $150, tool rental is free at Autoxone. The Haynes manual is pretty good, for the most part, on this procedure. Plus, this is a good time to inspect and repack the CV's.

Anyway, try the e-brake shoes, it is a free fix.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:55 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Gary, this happens to me too! When ever I make a quick left turn, or when I'm turning a pretty sharp turn, It starts to whine. Sometimes really loud. It doesn't happen when I make a right turn, even if I tried. I think it could be the wheels bearings. When I drive, it sounds like I'm hitting small bumps in the raod, but the ride is smooth, just sound. I think I need to replace my rear wheels bearings fast!
Old 08-30-2002, 10:08 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My car does the same thing except on right hand turns. The noise starts just off center and remains till the car is centered (wheel position). I could never find any rubbing and my bearings were already replaced not to long ago.

My wrench felt that perhaps the sway bar was rubbing on a bolt from the oil pump or an oil line on the dry sump. Guess I will find out next weekend.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:09 PM
Gary AZ
Advanced

Sloth,

As much as I hope it'd not a wheel bearing..I'm feeling it may be. But, I was at a Porsche servic eshop yesterday...these guys do a ton of 944 work. Race in the 944 spec series. Have had cars in with the same symptoms. the emergency brake test was on they mentioned. The other was unbolting the sway bar and seeing if noise goes away and then greasing up all the places the bushing rubber/ bolts would touch. I doubt it's as easy as that. The more I listen to the sound the more it sounds like when your tires squeak/ squeel when their over inflated...or turning them on an epoxy painted garage floor.

I'm gonna pull the rotor drum this morning on the right side and see what that looks like. Someone mentioned that I should be able to see if wheel bearing are bad with the rotor/ drum pulled off....what should I look for?
Old 08-30-2002, 12:39 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I tend to think that it is the swaybars in my case b/c of the new bearings lack of parking brake on my car, and lack of no rub marks on the tires and inner fenders. I hope you find what it it and post back. Not sure what to look for with worn bearings... Perhaps the spindle or hub assembly end starts to get some play in it.

To me, mine sounds like a humming, rubbing, squeely type thing. Very odd.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything.

Quick Reply: Strange noise contest.....I'm still trying to figure this one out!