Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Alternator Wireing HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Wireing HELP!!

Question 1: I just connected installed the alternator into the car. Attached to the back is a very long wire with three connections. Could someone help me figure out where these connections go?? I did not take the it ouf of the car so don't know where to put it back.

Question 2: Also I was in the footwell of the passenger seat near the DME KLR hooking the engine harness back up. I got a good look under there and reached into any crack or crevice I could but could not find what these connectors go to. Only one of them is connected to the harness the other ones are just hanging and the wire goes up behind ehe back of the glove box?? Do these need to be plugged in anywhere and does anyone recognize these??

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Clown; 08-09-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

The three connectors:
White nylon plug with small blue and large red/black stripe wire: firewall wire with corresponding connector. The blue wire is "D+" and the red/black stripe wire is for the starter solenoid.
Red/black stripe with ring connector and large black wire with ring connector: go to the starter with the red/black stripe on the solenoid and the large black wire on the starter (where you should also find the positive battery cable).
Large black wire with ring terminal and small blue wire with ring terminal go to the alternator, with the big wire going to the alt + terminal and the blue wire going to the D+ terminal.

So the wire harness should look like a "T" with the alternator output wire going directly to the starter to join the positive battery cable, the D+ and solenoid wires leaving to their own branch and going to the firewall connection. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those two plugs in the second pic go to the factory alarm system, if you don't have it just tuck them away. Also makes a convenient place to tap power from if you need it.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys...

Picture 1: that make sense..now I need to track down the positive battery cable...I think I might have grounded it to the bellhouse on accident.

Picture 2: So the white cables I am holding go to the factory alarm. Ok thanks,
What about the two black cables behind. The long thin one is hanging down from behind the glove box. The other rectangular fat one I think is coming off the harness?

Quick Reply: Alternator Wireing HELP!!