Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CLUTCH PEDAL NO PRESSURE??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLUTCH PEDAL NO PRESSURE??

Just installed engine and tranny into a car I did not take apart.The slave cylinder that goes in near starter is fully erect and I can't get it into bell housing? The clutch pedal has no pressure and only springs forward and stays pushed in by itself or I can pull it back towards me and it stays up. I must be overlooking something simple here. The clutch pedal appears to be hooked up to the master cylinder but there is just no hydraulic pressure. There is plenty of fluid in tank. Engine harness not plugged in yet. Any ideas on how to get this system up and running again?

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 AM
AScholtes
Pro

You have one (or more) of the three components of the system bad or there is air in the system. If you replace the master or slave, you need to do them both, and replace the hose while you are at it. Bleed the system first and go from there.

A motive power bleeder is the best thing ever I am convinced... I just did the master, slave and hose on my car yesterday and it was easier than I expected, but the hose was a little bit of a PITA to do.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks, I will try bleeding the system that was my first thought as well but I figured I must be overlooking something simple. The slave cylinder is extended pretty far the metal shaft as well as a larger black rubber shaft that feels like it has a bunch of large washers inside? I cant seem to budge either part of the slave cylinder. I know the components were working before the previous owner took the engine and tranny out just not sure what happened inbetween when it was sitting.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Best to go ahead and change the master slave and hose if the slave has pushed the seal out. It will give you piece of mind anyway and it's not like they cost a fortune (although they aren't cheap either).....
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Clown
Instructor

Well I bled the fluid from the slave cylnder last night to no avail. The prong that sticks out of the cylnder still wont go back in. I guess I will have to replace the slave cylnder and bleed the whole system. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:51 PM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You should definitely be able to push the Slave push rod back in, it only a spring in there keeping it stuck out. Rebuild kits are available but probably easier & quicker to buy a new one.
as mentioned a Motive Power bleeder best kit out there - took me ages to bleed my system until i bought one.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

There is a post on this .... I will dig it up
either way its a real PITA ....
here it is
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ine-bay-8.html
there is like 2 pages on this, in his build thread..
I have to look forward to this in the next few weeks I replaced everything ... just have to bleed it ... not an easy task I also bought the motive bleeder
good luck
Regards
Ed
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Hmmm.... bled mine in like 15 minutes... easy breezy for me...
Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Going to do mine again tomorrow, had a bad new slave cylinder. I just unbolted the bad one and pulled it up onto the top of the engine. bought a little clamp tool for holding the piston in on the slave.
Using the motive again.
I believe what happened to mine was the seal in the slave was passing fluid.
The link Crazy Eddie posted is my thread on my build. Some good advice there.

Funny is did this process on my first turbo with no bleader and by myself and never had any issues. That was back in 1994.

16 years later the second time round still sucks

Jason
Old 03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Clown
Instructor

Picked up a used slave cylnder today in good condition. I was able to take the old one off and put the new one on. This one works great and I could attach it inside the bellhousing with little effort. I tried the bleeding from the bottom method with the squeeze trigger oiling can filled with fluid and the tube pushing it through the nipple but it did not work very well. I was able to get very minute pressure at the bottom of the pedal. I had my five year old son looking for bubbles in the resevoir up top but he said he never saw any even after several minutes of me pumping?? I guess I am going to try another method.. I don't have the motive bleeder unfortunately. Any of you guys live in CT?

Thanks for your replies...
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Clown
Instructor

Ok, I think my system was just bone dry. I jacked the back of the car up and tried it again. I opened a jug of brake fluid and turned it upside down in the opening of the brake fluid resevoir. I opened the bleader screw and pushed the pedal to the floor where it stayed I then closed the bleader and then pulled the pedal off the floor...repeat 100 times. I closed the system up and and the pedal is pretty firm now. I dont know how firm it should be but there is no play and it goes right down and back up no problem. No squishy feeling. The clutch fork is moving the pressure plate so I think I am all set?

Since I have never driven this car I am not sure how the clutch pedal should feel. Also I am able to shift into all the gears without pushing the clutch pedal in is this normal??? I just installed the transmission and shift linkage. It shifts smoothly but I can put it in any gear without the engine running (which has not been started yet) and without the cluth pedal pushed in. Can anyone tell me is this normal?

Thanks!!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Clown
I dont know how firm it should be but there is no play and it goes right down and back up no problem. No squishy feeling. The clutch fork is moving the pressure plate so I think I am all set?

Since I have never driven this car I am not sure how the clutch pedal should feel. Also I am able to shift into all the gears without pushing the clutch pedal in is this normal??? I just installed the transmission and shift linkage. It shifts smoothly but I can put it in any gear without the engine running (which has not been started yet) and without the cluth pedal pushed in. Can anyone tell me is this normal?

Thanks!!
That sounds like normal operation. You should be able to shift into any gear without the clutch pedal as long as the engine is off, and the clutch pedal should be firm without play.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Clown
Instructor

That is great news! I though maybe I had set up something wrong. I appreciate everybody's help. Hopefully I will have this car up and running soon so I can test the clutch and transmission.

Quick Reply: CLUTCH PEDAL NO PRESSURE??