Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Newbie, on the quest of buying my first 951! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 PM
E(mph)asis
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie, on the quest of buying my first 951! :)

Hello everybody! I’m kinda new here. As many of you may reminisce, I too have long dreamed of owning my very own 944 turbo (951). I’ve done a decent amount of research (maintenance cost, water pump and timing belt replacement cycles, aftermarket parts, chips etc.) I’ve also spent a lot of time here on the forum, following every thread possible, before finally having the courage to make an account of my own.

With that being said, I think I may be ready to purchase my very own 951!!! My only real draw backs are finding a decently-priced, well-maintained 951 in my area. I’ve searched high and low, but all that’s ever turned up are N/A 944’s with high mileage, skyrocketed prices, and poor maintenance records. Don’t get me wrong, I aint trying to diss 944’s, but prefer the challenge and performance of a real 951.

As expected from a noob, I have many unanswered curiosities. (I am currently transitioning from the DSM scene, to the more sophisticated Porsche era) It’s still a very fresh and exiting world for me

I am also in the search for seasoned aficionado guidance. Any advice and/or further knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!!

Some of my questions/concerns are as follows:

1.)I’ve read from several sources that the typical timing belt and water pump replacement interval should be every 3 years, 60k miles, with the adjustment/retightening of the belt roughly every 15k miles. Are these figures close to accurate?

2.)Would said interval be any different for N/A and Turbo setups?
Besides belts and regular tune ups (oil changes ect.), are there any other maintenances I should be weary of?

3.)From my understanding the original S was N/A, however S2’s came turbocharged, is this true?

4.)This may sound kind of hard to believe, but I can’t seem to find a decent 951 in the Los Angeles area! The Mecca of beautiful women, big money, and fast cars has let me down -__- Any ideas, suggestions? Keep in mind that I am currently a student, and would most likely find it hard to buy from out of state. (I know Porsche maintenance can be costly for someone in my youth, but it doesn’t hurt to dream.

5.)How much more powerful (performance wise) are the 951 and 952 in contrast to the 944. Just in case I get talked into buying a N/A, I would like to ensure that I am not greatly disappointed expecting something better.

My plans are as follows;

Buy my 951 (Preferably black on black) as my daily.
Love her. Keep her well oiled and maintained.
Some basic bolt on performance and aesthetic upgrades.(Chips, pipes, footwork, breaks, coilovers, clutch, flywheel, (fuchs) ect.) for now.

Once I graduate from school, then the real investments BEGIN! High end performance from the ground up! Lindsey store all they way?

Answers, Questions, Feedback Concerns? Once again, thank you for your patience and consideration
Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

hey welcome! Good luck with your search. If your not interested in traveling/shipping etc. for your purchase then you'll just need to be patient in your local area.

As you likely realize this would not be a great choice as a DD..though fun!

I'll let more experienced listers answer your technical questions. These cars ARE maintenance hogs..but the performance and balance are tremendous!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E(mph)asis
Hello everybody! I’m kinda new here. As many of you may reminisce, I too have long dreamed of owning my very own 944 turbo (951). I’ve done a decent amount of research (maintenance cost, water pump and timing belt replacement cycles, aftermarket parts, chips etc.) I’ve also spent a lot of time here on the forum, following every thread possible, before finally having the courage to make an account of my own.

With that being said, I think I may be ready to purchase my very own 951!!! My only real draw backs are finding a decently-priced, well-maintained 951 in my area. I’ve searched high and low, but all that’s ever turned up are N/A 944’s with high mileage, skyrocketed prices, and poor maintenance records. Don’t get me wrong, I aint trying to diss 944’s, but prefer the challenge and performance of a real 951.

As expected from a noob, I have many unanswered curiosities. (I am currently transitioning from the DSM scene, to the more sophisticated Porsche era) It’s still a very fresh and exiting world for me

I am also in the search for seasoned aficionado guidance. Any advice and/or further knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!!

1.)I’ve read from several sources that the typical timing belt and water pump replacement interval should be every 3 years, 60k miles, with the adjustment/retightening of the belt roughly every 15k miles. Are these figures close to accurate?

Besides belts and regular tune ups (oil changes ect.), are there any other maintenances I should be weary of?

3.)From my understanding the original S was N/A, however S2’s came turbocharged, is this true?

4.)This may sound kind of hard to believe, but I can’t seem to find a decent 951 in the Los Angeles area! The Mecca of beautiful women, big money, and fast cars has let me down -__- Any ideas, suggestions? Keep in mind that I am currently a student, and would most likely find it hard to buy from out of state. (I know Porsche maintenance can be costly for someone in my youth, but it doesn’t hurt to dream.

5.)How much more powerful (performance wise) are the 951 and 952 in contrast to the 944. Just in case I get talked into buying a N/A, I would like to ensure that I am not greatly disappointed expecting something better.

My plans are as follows;

Buy my 951 (Preferably black on black) as my daily.
Love her. Keep her well oiled and maintained.
Some basic bolt on performance and aesthetic upgrades.(Chips, pipes, footwork, breaks, coilovers, clutch, flywheel, (fuchs) ect.) for now.

Once I graduate from school, then the real investments BEGIN! High end performance from the ground up! Lindsey store all they way?

Answers, Questions, Feedback Concerns? Once again, thank you for your patience and consideration
1 3 years 30k seen 3 years 45k
2 NO not really. Besides turbo and wastegate rebuild/replacement.
3 S is a different engine 24 valves instead of 16. S2 is similar but uses a 3.0L block
4 Thats because Lart takes no prisoners
5 150 hp (not sure on the S engine specs) vs Turbo 220-260 HP with ability to reach the sky if you choose

Wait until your out of school and have a good job. Thats the best advice i can give you. Nothing sucks like being locked out of the classroom for a test because your Porsche wont start or staying up all night putting it back together when you should be studying.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

If you're dead set on getting a 944, I would suggest buying from a forum member, so you know they had at least some knowledge on these cars. N/A and Turbo are pretty different cars in terms of performance... and price for good examples.

There are "I'm in the market for a 944..." threads on here pretty often, do a search and read what everybody comments so you know what you're getting into.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
hevquip
Racer

Buy a total beater for your first 951 because you will end up selling it. Then when you buy your next 951 after that, do it right by picking a quality car...if you weren't disenfranchised enough with the first one to become a repeat purchaser.

Seriously though, look at the board. Look at how many people are first time purchasers and STILL around here, not many. Now look at the people you still find on the board and notice that many of them are several cars into this hobby and passion, coincidence? I think not. I think there are two Rennlisters: the one who stops by and says "check out my car!" and we never see them again because they get in over their heads, or we have the Rennlister who accepts the fact that they are in over their heads and it's still "check out my car!", but with another thread 3 months later that reads "check out my car...'cuz I bought another one!" and then it just devolves into jealousy because you're like "Not fair, I only have 2 cars and a parts car when he gets to have 4 and a 3.0 liter block..."
Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
951Doc
Advanced

A little different perspective here:

1. Buy an accident free body.
2. Expect the engine will require work.
3. Expect to do the work yourself, OR -
4. Pay lots of money to have someone else do the work poorly.
5. Expect to curse with #3 above.
6. Expect oil leaks, requiring more of #3. #4 is no solution to this problem.
7. Expect every maintenance or repair short cut will be severely punished by Porsche gods.
7. Expect to say "Yeehaw" or the LA equivalent when the turbo kicks in on a well tuned 951 with some performance mods.

951Doc
http://www.project944turbo.com
Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Most adhere to the typical 3 years or 30,000 miles rule. I do, and replace the waterpump and rollers every other belt change, or every 60,000 miles.

No difference. When talking about the belt drive systems, they are the same. The only difference in the systems is that the N/A will use a blockoff plate on the waterpump where the turbo thermostat goes.

No S2s ever came from the factory as turbos. The S used a 2.5L 16v, while the S2 used a 3L 16v. Both were naturally aspirated.

Just keep an eye out. Looking for the "Right" car may take some time. Don't settle for the first one you see. Do your research, and reference www.clarks-garage.com for buying tips. Also get a PPI done by a reputable shop in your area, you shouldn't have too much of an issue finding one.

The performance leap is fairly significant. A lot of people like the early 944s (MY83) because they are more likely to come with manual windows/steering/locks/sunroof/etc... That all makes for a lighter car. I personally loved my 951. The power delivery can be sudden if you aren't expecting it, and may take some time getting used to. A non-S 951 made 217hp, a 951S made 247hp, and the N/As had varying hp probably in the 130-140 range (not entirely familiar with the N/As.

Good luck and hope you find a good one soon!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah Youth! College kid wants a 951...dont blame you there, BUT, you will soon graduate to 'Broke College Kid', then a masters in 'Broke College Kid with Broke 951'. I'm not saying it cant be done, just that its RARE! Not to worry though, a 944 S2 has the same look, 200+ Hp, [very close to stock non-S Turbo] and is relitivly inexpensive to maintain. I think its a better City Car than a 951 also. 951 was made for the open road, there it has no equal, but in town, you 'cant get it out of second gear', and you wont be able to 'drive 55' without an overwelming urge to just squeeze the throttle right into 'Felony' speed territory. Recomend you buy the best condition NA you CAN afford, and save the 951 for a graduation gift.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
Ah Youth! College kid wants a 951...dont blame you there, BUT, you will soon graduate to 'Broke College Kid', then a masters in 'Broke College Kid with Broke 951'. I'm not saying it cant be done, just that its RARE! Not to worry though, a 944 S2 has the same look, 200+ Hp, [very close to stock non-S Turbo] and is relitivly inexpensive to maintain. I think its a better City Car than a 951 also. 951 was made for the open road, there it has no equal, but in town, you 'cant get it out of second gear', and you wont be able to 'drive 55' without an overwelming urge to just squeeze the throttle right into 'Felony' speed territory. Recomend you buy the best condition NA you CAN afford, and save the 951 for a graduation gift.
I agree here. 951's are a great cars but for a college student, it's alot of work to keep up the maintenance. Coming from me, I'm 19 finished school and work a few days a week, club dj on weekends... When i 17 i bought my first car, my first 951 and yes it required some work, not alot though just "bring up to scratch" work. my car was a rennlisters car also so i had alot of documents with it. i've ownd my car for around now 1 and a bit years and have had a few issued. first the head gasket went. probably the biggest issue. 2nd was cap and rotor and now the turbo went. but other then that it's a great car.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
ThirdPedal
Advanced

I'm a recent 951 buyer (bought mine in October), it's my first 944 (or Porsche for that matter), it's my daily driver (and only car), I'm rather young (25) and I have no plans of selling it. I'm also local to you (LBC) so if you have any questions, or would like a ride (probably not a good idea because you'll want one more), I'd be down with meeting up and chatting.

I searched a month to find my car, and even then I ended up driving to Sacramento to get it. The key is patience when searching for a 944. Don't fall in love with the first car you look at, and make sure you ask questions and see documentation. My car was owned by a guy that had a ton of money and it was his track car. He spared no expense in keeping it maintained, and I've counted three times what I paid for the car in maintenance receipts over the last 6 years. The problem was that being his track toy, it was a bit unrefined (loud racing brake pads, straight exhaust, stiff springs) and the body isn't in the best shape (dings, scrapes, scratches), so the interest in it was low. The price was amazing, and I had to pounce on it before someone else did. That's they key, be ready to go when you find the right deal.

I set up a google alert to search craigslist for new 944 listings. Whenever google found a new 944 craigslist ad, it would send it to me. I called on my car 20 minutes after the ad was posted! If you're serious about finding a car, I highly suggest this.

Even though my car was well maintained, she's still required some work. I've worked on many cars before, so I wasn't afraid to do work myself. Since buying the car, I've spent about $800 on maintenance. That includes timing and balance shaft belts (rollers and waterpump were good and changed 10k miles ago), tensioning tools, new fuel lines (read up on fuel line failure), all new fluids, and replacing various interior bits. In the last 6 months, I've cursed, shed blood, kicked, and smiled more than I have with any other car. If you're mechanically inclined (or willing to learn), have a can-do attitude, and appreciate the connection these things can build with you and your car, you'll like 951 ownership. Just be prepared to have money on hand in case something goes wrong (which it inevitably will) but it'll be much easier if you start with an excellent example.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Clown
Instructor

Welcome to the club. I would advise buying an 1987 or newer car because they changed and/or added some features such as the oil level sensor. Also I would try to find a vehicle with many of the standard performance parts allready installed. You will end up spending a lot of more money and time sourcing the parts and paying someone to install them. If you find a stock car without any mods...keep hitting up ebay and this forum for used performance parts. It may take a little longer but will save you loads of money in the long run!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
slap929
Pro

hevquip, what are you talking about? Many people still have their first(and in some cases the only) 951 on rennlist and buying a beater of a 951 is a road to frustration and expense. What was the story for your first 951?

There are also plenty of younger people here that own and work on their own 951 as well. It comes down to how much you want to spend on the car, what condition it is in when you buy it, and what you want from it(track, daily driver, DE). The 951 isnt as cheap as a civic or a DSM, but I feel it is built to a different spec that is reflected in price.

As you can see, Rennlist is a great place for opinion and instruction. Keep reading up on things, learn the car before you buy(this will help you find the right one, and the wrong ones) and keep your eyes open for cars that meet your quality criteria while passing on the questionable one. Good luck and have fun. 951s may be more expensive and time consuming, but in my opinion the experience that the 951 gives is worth every min/penny.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM
racer
Drifting

Check out www.clarks-garage.com to learn more about the various models.

As a DSM fan, no doubt you are drawn to the boost aspect of the 951. Its been my sideline experience that many who try to add significant power to the 951 do so with longevity and reliability being thrown out the window. Stock 951 is 217hp. 951S/1989 Turbo is 247hp. There were several changes down by the factiory BESIDES boost/turbo to make and support that 30hp gain!

The 944S2 is a great car btw, 208hp, "turbo" brakes and suspension.. and when club raced are nearly a match for the nonS turbos.

The 944S was a 2.5l 16v rated at 188hp but used "base" car brakes and suspension

The "regular" 944s were rated between 143-162hp depending on year.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if people are weighting in...Personally I 'd trade my 89 Turbo S with all it's records of numerous fuel pumps (WTF) for an 89 Vette with a blown motor in a heartbeat!
Still fighting a no gears in drive problem.

Very clean and very fast when she runs! I would never have one as my only car! But you get attached to them and fight through the pain! But as an only car.. I'd say no! But if your determined and if you find one in the Sac area, it's a couple hours from me I'd be willing to look at it.And no guys mine is not for sale!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

heres the thing. The reliability of these cars are only as good as the maintenance done, and inversely proportionate to the mods done to the car usually. If you keep the car up well, and just drive it normal, she would probably last a long time with little to no troubles. When you start modding them up, driving them hard or just lack maintenance, they break and you cry. Believe me ive had about every trouble and good time you can have with these cars and they are a love hate relationship for me.

My wife had a nice 924s - 8v 2.5 basically an early 944 w/ 924 body- that ran great for four years and the only problems we had were a rear wheel bearing and i had to replace the fuel lines.

I had an 89 944 n/a- 2.7l only made this 8v motor one year- best version i believe w/ the most updates etc- spun number 2 rod bearing after a track event- car was using oil and i didnt keep up with refilling it over the weekend. Repainted that car, tracked it, autox'ed it and loved it- sold it for more power.

86 944 2.5l n/a 8v - bought, fixed it up and sold it to a rennlister. He took good care of it but beat it hard sometimes and blew the trans out of it- he was like you a student and it took some time for him to get the car back together.

86 951 8v turbo- current car- clutch went out, upgraded engine to 360rwhp, full coilover suspension etc- too much boost bent a rod and recently stuck that rod through the side of the block doing 25mph.

86 944 8v n/a- the dragon- bought this car for $250 - gutted it and turned it into a low buck race car- full cage. This car has been the most fun because i care the least about it- we are on the third motor though. First one i dont want to talk about- second one burnt a valve due to old injectors- botched head gasket afterwards turned into a hydro locked motor w/ a rod out the oil pan. Third motor got full maintenance new everything and should be reliable- lets hope.

the list goes on but the main idea is when you mod or dont keep everything new they break and you cry. I like to think of this as a good time to modify some more but not everyone looks at it this way.

here is a basic 944 breakdown

83-85 944 was 8v 2.5 n/a
85.5-86 8v 2.5 updated interior,suspension and alittle more power
87-88 8v 2.5 had wider offset suspension - 87 also included an S model that was a 16v 2.5l n/a
89-90 (US) the n/a was an S2 model w/ a 3liter motor 16v - these had turbo bodywork and brakes

86-89 turbo- 8v motors - 86 had early offset- 87+ was late offset- 88 offered a turboS model w/ upgraded brakes/turbo etc and 89 these upgrades were standard on turbo.

Quick Reply: Newbie, on the quest of buying my first 951! :)