Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Newbie, on the quest of buying my first 951! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:31 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is was a well maintained example. Still got problems. I'll be changing out the clutch lines , has two year old spec 2 clutch, PP flywheel rebuilt, etc.
To the OP I guess you see these cars have their fans! So at least you know what your getting into. For the record my 85.5 blew the R&P at 160000 but it had been abused by PO.
Gotta fix that one too!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy this one in Memphis - would get it in and drive it anywhere - maintained by Pat Williams and Memphis Motorwerks, just under 48k miles - Sport seats, ABS, only mod is APE MAF and APE chips. $12,500

Old 03-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the group!

Without knowing your financial situation, the purchase of a decent 951 will take a pretty good chunk. Normal maintenance (DIY) won't hurt too bad.

Your basic bolt-on list is going to cost almost as much as the purchase price, though. Chips = 300 Pipes = 1500 or maybe less in steel (if you dont get a wastegate and headers) Brakes = 200 for pads (add 400-1000 for rotors, 100 for hoses) 1000 or so for clutch/flywheel if you DIY, but will cost double or more if done by a shop. Coilovers will be between 1000-3000.

I'm old, so I'm not sure what "footwork" costs. If that means tires, that'll be another 600 or so.

I wish I was in a position to spend $5000 on bolt ons, then start the"real investment"!

Let us know how you come out on your search.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:13 AM
E(mph)asis
7th Gear

Wow!!! I don’t know if I should feel overwhelmed or blessed by all the knowledge, shared wisdom, and Support. Seriously, I guess what I’m trying to say is… *awkward moment in 3-2-1* I wish I could just hug you all!.. But it probably wouldn’t be as cool driving cross country in my secondary daily, an astrovan. I think it’d be safe to wait until I get my 951.

As a student, I have taken a lot of consideration into my budget, but feel I can no longer contain this thirst for blood-sweat-and-tears!...apparently my own. Lol

Did I mention that I also work full time? It’s not the best paying job in the world, but it keeps my expenses at paid.

Borderline felonious speeds shouldn’t be an issue. I’m a morning bird. So I get to beat traffic, and most importantly I see less po-pos on the road.

Google ads!! Why hadn’t I thought of that!!!

I have found a 944s in Sacramento. The add was posted on craigslist not too long ago. It’s in a show room. If I’m not mistaking, its got a roll cage, chip (possibly authority), and some nice pipe work done. Overall, it’s a very clean car, and fairly priced.

I also recently received a 944 n/a as a trade offer for my 2G DSM. From my understanding, it has an outstanding track records w/ POC *Porsche owners club* including “Best in Class”. It was owned by Lyn Zamboni, and worked on by Lyn and Tony Callas. (don’t know if any of those names ring a bell.) It is a track car, so wear and tear is a given. And salvage title due to a previous accident? It only has 3 races, and less than 200 miles since last race, but odo is also broken.
Lots of ups and downs. I’ll post some pics up of both cars later. But what I’m really wating out for is my very own 951.
I wont lie, sometimes I see the guys who post up their new rides, and get a little envious too.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

don't do it
Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would never consider a N/A as a daily. I've driven one once... lackluster. Granted, my 951 has literally grown up with me so I've acquired a certain fondness for it. To be frank, if I were in the market for a performance car as a daily driver, I wouldn't go for any 944. If you have that need for one, then great, and I hope you fulfill that desire. But I think at that price range there are some better performance cars to consider in terms of straight line performance and stock or modded HP: Dollar.

My brother crashed his car a few years back and we checked out some local 944/951 and E39 540i's. I eventually talked him into test driving a 2000 Trans Am and he ended up buying it. Driving feel is definitely not as good as the 951, but driving experience is about equal, considering "twisty roads" do not exist in Houston. No replacement for displacement, especially in regards to sound and torque. I love driving it as much as the 951.

But again, if you're just really interested in the 951, I can relate to that. We all can. Buy one which you know has been kept up with. It'll cost more, but buying a cheaper car with a mysterious maintenance history can very quickly add up repair bills.

Whatever you get, just make sure it's something you really like. To the extent that it can make a bad day a not-so-bad day after a drive.

Just my .02
Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Newbie, here's one priced low enough to give you some maintenance $ in reserve.

http://sacramento.newsreview.com/Aut...-turbo/4053584
Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 AM
msalvatore
Rennlist Member

Lots of good info here, as I am currently searching for a turbo s and any advice helps. thanks to the OP for the thread. there tough to find in the NE
Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF you reallllllllly want to buy a 951, like others said. find one that is 100% stock and don't mod it. it has to have a good maintenance history, preferably if you bought it off rennlist... as most people here will know about the car.
Mods are like drugs, do it once... feel the rush... and then you want more.

Msalvatore,
Theres alot of good info here laying around. search for "buying a 951" or something along those lines and alot of topics will come up.
& if you want a Turbo S and then you're going to chance the turbo, suspention ect. might aswell find a non S because you're just going to get rid of the S parts in the end.
If you want a 100% stock S and leave it that way, good luck & hope you find a nice one!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

+1 on modding an S. You're going to want shocks, struts, and prolly a mild performance boost before long. Most non-S models around here already surpass the S in performance, anyway. If a cream puff unmolested S pops up with low miles, you probably would want to keep it stock.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
E(mph)asis
7th Gear

Aww shucks. I would have not tried going for a stock 951 or S on my own. (My logic behind that being the mula i'd be saving on aftermarket expenses.) But i guess my biases were wrong. Thanks paulyy. thank you all for being so suportive, and i would especially like to thank those who've given tough, God-honest, love.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 PM
msalvatore
Rennlist Member

Thank's for the words of wisdom. I am looking for an unmolested low mileage S. Preferably the 88 rose silver. If I get the urge to mod it ill look for a non S to play with.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
TheCooler
Instructor

These cars have the same reliability as other German cars....In some aspects I believe the 944 is built better and last longer than other German cars, even newer ones. I have owned probably 9 different German cars, and other than the timing belt junk, the 944's have been the best I have owned. Anyways, I would stick to getting a NA 944 unless you really know your stuff about turbocharged engines and how things work.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM
E(mph)asis
7th Gear

Thank you guys for all the support and feedback I haven't forgten about the forum, it's just that i'm still looking for my very own 951 and find it too depresing to log on at times. Still searching though!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Seattle944
Instructor

Talking

I would suggest listening to the experience on this forum. All these guys have it right. I bought my car when I was 21, I'm now 24 and I haven't done anything to it except fixing little things here and there. First it was the master and slave, than the clutch, now I need rotors. It never ends.

At 21 all I wanted to do was go fast...not to say I know alot more now, but I'm grateful I still have the car at 24. Also buying a car from a former rennlist is one of the best decisions I ever made.

Just make sure you know what your getting yourself into. If your not really a car guy or want to learn...well that's your choice.

But there's nothing better than pulling up to car on the freeway without racing them and knowning you can smoke'm

Warren

Quick Reply: Newbie, on the quest of buying my first 951! :)