Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CRAP! Busted alllen head bolt from head to block. What is the best way to get it out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same bolt, same problem. Drilled out with good bit, chased the threads with an appropriate tap, good to go.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
If I know elliot the marine, he will go 2K into a new motor before waiting the day for the $20 in tools to arive...

Not hatin, just sayin...

BTW, E, you never did call or are you still pulling on that beer?
adapt and overcome!

It's still there. I sealed the crap out of it and moverd forward. We'll see how it goes. I really don't have time to try more stuff on this. The car has to be moving by no later than Friday.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
And for me, this is the ONLY bolt weeping on my NA... it is torqued correctly, but weeping from the bolt head! If it doesn't stop, I will be pulling it out, and RTVing the hell out of it.. if it still weeps I will be tapping it, helicoiling it, using sealant and re-installing the bolt...

This is the ONLY fluid leak I have on my NA currently, and I want it GONE!

BTW Mike, did you get my PM RE your M3?
I can live a short while with it weeping. If needed, I'll go back in when time and space are less of an issue. I still don't know what caused the gasket leak, other than age. It's possible that the old head warped, but I'm not sure. The deposits on the valves could have been greek ancient Greek sculpture! I'll post pics later.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:08 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall
I can live a short while with it weeping. If needed, I'll go back in when time and space are less of an issue. I still don't know what caused the gasket leak, other than age. It's possible that the old head warped, but I'm not sure. The deposits on the valves could have been greek ancient Greek sculpture! I'll post pics later.
Well Marine, if they were ancient greek, that would infer that they were greek... but I know what you meant...

Glad she is going back together for ya... now hurry up and take that hill!

BTW, I may take you up on that whole couch thing... I feel the need for a little get away!

it is coming...

And I am with you on the whole "live with it till time allows..."

she has been weeping for almost 3000 miles, and thats in the last 18 days... I been too busy to mess with carpet, or dash lights, and was up till 1AM the other evening to get my laundry wrapped up... been too busy to wory about a stupid little leak!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I hear greek ......... I can translate.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not going to read 5 pages, but here is my 2 cents. DONT use an easy out, 1 you wont be able to drill the bolt, and 2 they are usually so brittle they will just snap. I have done this before and its a gem... clean the bolt surface, with a wire brush, weld onto the top of the bolt and build it up to a point where you can get vice grips or a similarly large device to grip and unscrew. Add some CRC or similar product, and away you go. You can try heating up the area too if its really stuck.

Quick Reply: CRAP! Busted alllen head bolt from head to block. What is the best way to get it out?