Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My lucky day - shorted starter cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 02:36 PM
smokey
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My lucky day - shorted starter cable

Did three track days a week ago, no problems, but when I tried to start the car this week-end, no go. Dead battery. Charged up the battery and started to connect it, but got major arcing, eating away at the battery post. Given the size of the arc, figured it was in the primary circuit. Turned out to be the primary cable connecting the starter and the alternator, running under the intake manifold. It had been rubbing against the sharp edge of a heat shield above the starter, and is behind the turbo in a very hot area.I was lucky that the initial short drained the battery to give me some warning. Replacing all the primary cables. Something to check on any 951.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
If you have not read my story, my 951 caught fire when the positive cable from the battery to the starter shorted out on the bell housing.

Always a good thing to inspect on a regular basis, and replace if ANY insulation is cracked or torn off.

You got a lucky warning. Look into IceSharks cables, they are wonderful.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:56 PM
smokey
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Perry. I had followed your Rennlist threads in the past, but put off ordering IceShark's cables: other priorities, like a new suspension, tires, brake pads, and track time. After my lucky wake-up call, I just ordered the full IceShark cable set, and the car won't be going anywhere until it's installed. And for everyone else out there: even if it ain't broke, take a close look, especially if you're tracking the car. Some of those wires are close to the turbo, and some very sharp edges.

Quick Reply: My lucky day - shorted starter cable