Some actual work has been done.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:37 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some actual work has been done.

Ok.. It started out like this..

Then it blew a head gasket and needed brakes. And I decided 120mph towards any corner needed some safety, so i did this... and many of you have seen these pics before..

I did the above so I could start the cage that looked like this in the process. I also did a lot of seam welding in the front. Just about everywhere up front actually.

So then I had to build a whole rear end.. out of fiberglass and I did this. Decided to do an aluminum frame on the rear.. Also to hold the wing to the frame.

Then this for fitment

Then this to hold it together. I used 3m panel adhesive. crazy stuff.. dries to a hard plastic / porcelain finish.

Then this to panel it off for Air control....

And now today's accomplishment which was done by my body guy, was this.. So wierd to see it as whole piece. Still so much to do.. But am very happy to see it coming along like this.

^^^I haven't welded in the gas tank stopper, so it doesn't sit right. It will when I am done.

YAY...So glad to see some progress after 2 years of dust collecting. Next is some work on the front for the cross bracing and to finish off any welding in the front of the cab So it can be painted its finished color of light silver after much scrubbing of the pan..

There was so much work put into this car in between the pics. The pics don't come close to showing how much actual work it took to get there. But the cliff notes work for now.

Then, I will be building the whole front end of the car to match the expensive GT racing part number 292R bumper (I truly can't believe they make us buy the front splitter seperately. what a rip off) I just ordered it today and I feel sick. Cool parts.. SURE.. I'll pay more..; A front bumper that's going to get beat up?! Not worth it. Anyway.. That will take me a little while and you probably won't see any updates on that for a month or so. A boatload of work has to go into that for dzus fastener mounting points, radiator and intercooler mounting frames, oil cooler stuff etc, etc, etc,.. I still don't have a solid idea how to weld it all together while not falling into the trap of just welding up a boatload of steel up there to make it hold. So, I do have my work cut out for me.

I STILL have to find a roof. I may just give in and buy the fiber one. ugh. $400 for that seems wasteful also.

$1500 for the IQ3 dash.. now I will do that with a smile. GPS tracking. Track mapping, Satellite calculated speeds.. Oh yeah. anyway. It's coming along.
Thanks for looking.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:02 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Dude, come by and see the LS1. Do it.....
Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Nice work so far!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 PM
95ONE
Race Car

no problem! .. call or.. text me when you're home. or drive by the shop. I want a ride.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

They let you out on track without a sunroof panel in place?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:35 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by docwyte
They let you out on track without a sunroof panel in place?
Not without wrist tie downs to keep my hands in. Got called out on that too did ya? Called our car a "convertible"!!! lol... yeah, that sunroof opening is damn large though.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

I can't believe they let you run period. That just wouldn't fly around here...

They get their panties in a wad when I have it tilted up, let alone removed completely!
Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Well. It was the one time, and they knew my sunroof panel was 2hrs away. So maybe they cut me some slack that day. They did tell me to not expect to be let run again that way. I showed up the next day with the sunroof panel machine screwed into the roof. - it was gutted inside at the time, so nothing sunroof was left. just the panel.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Love it Bruce! I'm trying to figure out the Alu rear undertray thingy and combine it with the diffuser? Hard to tell from the angle but I assume you're going to put the / a diffuser back on?
So are the rear quarter panels the GT widebody and you've fused them in with the a normal center tail section? Looks nice and smooth. Do you know how many yards / meters you used for the cage?
Any specific reason you went with Nascar door bars rather than the 'X' pattern of the Cups?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:10 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95ONE
I showed up the next day with the sunroof panel machine screwed into the roof.
This...
Old 02-26-2011, 03:17 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Love it Bruce! I'm trying to figure out the Alu rear undertray thingy and combine it with the diffuser? Hard to tell from the angle but I assume you're going to put the / a diffuser back on?
So are the rear quarter panels the GT widebody and you've fused them in with the a normal center tail section? Looks nice and smooth. Do you know how many yards / meters you used for the cage?
Any specific reason you went with Nascar door bars rather than the 'X' pattern of the Cups?
Thank you! Aluminum undertray keeps the air from getting behind the tail lights and slowing me down.. That's all.. My old diffuser will now go on below that so you won't be able to appreciate the work.. I can handle that, knowing the panel work i did will net large gains in top speed. Aluminum paneling and diffuser are two separate functions.
Wheel wells also keep air from getting stuck in back.

The white fiberglass is GT wide body. The rear grey piece is Lindsey's fiberglass rear panel, and the black bumper is my old GT racing bumper. I fiberglassed them all together on the back side where you cant see. We then smoothed them all together. There is nothing left from the old car back there. all fiberglass and aluminum

Nascar door basket is just stronger. It also puts point of impact a little further away. If I'm getting t-boned on driver side, I would rather take the lateral G's than the metal from another car crashing in. And I think it was something close to 60'. More if you count the screwed up angles and bends that I couldn't use.

Last edited by 95ONE; 02-26-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:23 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
This...
wha? lol.. a little impromptu racer ingenuity.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy smokes, that's a lot of (very nice) work! I'd really love to be able to do body work like that someday, that is the only thing that I let other people handle. I'm mechanically inclined, but can't make body work look good to save my life!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:48 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vey nice as usual Bruce, at some point you may want to combine all your threads into one. You have provided so much knowledge and entertainment to this community that it would be a shame for any of it to be lost. Plus it just looks way too simple in the condensed version
Old 02-26-2011, 01:24 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Thanks Sid. That would be a pretty big thread. But yeah, there is a lot more detail of each thing I did. STILL so much I didn't have time or feel like taking pictures of on the tedious stuff. Like how none of the panels pictured above came close to fitting correctly. The alignment and all the back side filing to fit flush were not recorded. Getting those guys to fit like that took a lot of math, measuring, fudging, and art.. Glad its done.

Quick Reply: Some actual work has been done.