Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Some actual work has been done.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

That's crazy, its like you're building a 951 from scratch. You should get a manufacturer designation like RUF.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested in how the panel adhesive was to work with. Did you bond to bare metal? Also, in the post-body shop photos of the rear, it appears that everything is one piece. Did he join the bumper to the other panels?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:25 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I'm interested in how the panel adhesive was to work with. Did you bond to bare metal? Also, in the post-body shop photos of the rear, it appears that everything is one piece. Did he join the bumper to the other panels?
Panel adhesive does NOT like temps below 85 deg F. It feels almost solid and is extremely difficult to work. So,I warmed the tube up to 95deg and it was then easy to push out of the tube. It is a 2 part epoxy that mixes in the tip. so it MUST be fluid (warm) to do this.

First thing is first.. Every panel must be fit the way you want before you do this. otherwise, its too late after it dries. I used locating pins like you see in the picture. often I used a 1/16" thick plate of aluminum cut roughly and place on the back side. I then used the locating pins to hold it together So I can get a better look at fit and finish without bonding anything.

Yes, It is fiberglass to metal.. Both surfaces scuffed up and cleaned. Once again, AFTER everything was aligned, sanded, thinned, customized, whatever. It takes a few days to fully cure in cool weather.

After that took place on the wide body rear quarters, I then re connected the rear fiberglass panels together using the aluminum plates and rivets as seen in the pic below.. I then Fiber glassed all of them together with rivets and aluminum and all Still there. (Back side.. you cant see it in the pics) I then added another layer another day. Those panels were then one piece. BUT.. the front still looks like its not.. This is exactly how the panels were in this pic. epoxied and fiberglassed on the backside. but nothing had been done to the visible front to smooth them in yet... well, there is a little smoothing in up top already in this pic, but I dont have a better pic to show.

Then my body guy just put in filler to smooth out the back. Not having to worry about the filler cracking because the panels were held securely together by the epoxy and fiberglass.

Last edited by 95ONE; 02-27-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:41 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
That's crazy, its like you're building a 951 from scratch. You should get a manufacturer designation like RUF.
Is that a play on words , good God man you can be cruel. lol

Bruce, yes I knew the alu wasn't part of the diffuser but just wondered how it would work together. You bring up an interesting point though about
blocking off the air from the inside of the tail section. I'd never really thought about that.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Pat, I'm sorry if my answer came out like that. My fault.

I remember a post from someone else asking if that was going to be part of the diffuser or something like that. So I thought that might be what you were asking.

In the original car, i had the spare tire spot completely cut out. The diffuser I have fit well in there. But the air is allowed to travel on Top of the diffuser as well as below, and I think that air was getting trapped up in a part behind the bumper. The car just hit an aerodynamic wall. I could feel it when i hit top speed.. It would climb crazy fast and then just stop. Can't explain it any better than that. I am sure that the big pig snout I had on there before was pretty terrible at aerodynamics, and the air underneath was getting trapped.. So I wanted to pay special attention to this on my build. Top speeds should be dramatically different at the end of the TWS straight. I've only used low boost through it though. (350whp) and hit around 160mph. Its a little over a half mile straight I think. With 500whp and some aero, I should be whoopin through that guy.. I'll also have satellite tracking to tell me the exact top speed. I can't wait. I'm hoping for around 180+mph at the end of the straight. So yeah, huge brakes will be fitted - As seen in an older thread.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:32 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the detail. This is a terrific project!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Pat, I'm sorry if my answer came out like that. My fault.

I remember a post from someone else asking if that was going to be part of the diffuser or something like that. So I thought that might be what you were asking.

In the original car, i had the spare tire spot completely cut out. The diffuser I have fit well in there. But the air is allowed to travel on Top of the diffuser as well as below, and I think that air was getting trapped up in a part behind the bumper. The car just hit an aerodynamic wall. I could feel it when i hit top speed.. It would climb crazy fast and then just stop. Can't explain it any better than that. I am sure that the big pig snout I had on there before was pretty terrible at aerodynamics, and the air underneath was getting trapped.. So I wanted to pay special attention to this on my build. Top speeds should be dramatically different at the end of the TWS straight. I've only used low boost through it though. (350whp) and hit around 160mph. Its a little over a half mile straight I think. With 500whp and some aero, I should be whoopin through that guy.. I'll also have satellite tracking to tell me the exact top speed. I can't wait. I'm hoping for around 180+mph at the end of the straight. So yeah, huge brakes will be fitted - As seen in an older thread.
No not at all Bruce, just wanted to figure out what you were doing my man. You've got me thinking too don't worry about that. Although not quite as radical as your unique beast I am still looking at various aspects such as aero also. Are you going to keep your wing or look at something more substantial and with more rearward positioning?
Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I'm going with a larger wing. Probably not much more rearward. I think I was following some rules as far as placement, and i will certainly do the same this time so the car has a home to race, in case I choose to do so.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, thats a serious looking cage you've got there

Edit: 51 you've got a pm
Old 02-27-2011, 02:37 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...wait, I thought it started without a hood?!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:11 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

...and then a nose panel!!

What's with the VW on your Avatar anyway?? 3L RSR...guess it's ok....

Quick Reply: Some actual work has been done.