Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DRY TURBO CONVERSION HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRY TURBO CONVERSION HELP

I just put the engine back in the car and am currenlty hooking everything up. I am now going to run a dry turbo set up do to the fact I tried to modify the turbo water temp sensor pipe and broke the pipe off the sensor housing when I was trying to bend it and fit it over the much larger turbo housing in order to clear the intake manifold (surprised no one makes a kit for this issue yet with all the larger turbos going in these days.....)

Step 1: I guess I need to cap the one of the holes on the exspansion tank

Step 2: Need to remove the alluminum tubing behind the radiator fan that bolts down to the chassis.

Step 3: Buy some radiator hose and run it from the exspansion tank over to the top left opening on radiator

Step 4: Find some way to cap the waterpump turbo thermostat opening...

Does this sound correct and anyone have any ideas on how I can cap the opening on the turbo thermostat housing....I know Lindsey sells some caps but are there any do it yourself options out there?

On the exspansion tank I realize that most people just pick up a NA exspansion tank and call it a day but I think I will leave a little bit of hose attached and plug the hose coming off the tank with a large bolt and then clamp it down. Can the same thing be done with the turbo waterpump/thermostat? Or will there be too much pressure?

Thanks for you help!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:54 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Use a na block off plate on the engines waterpump and use a na ratiator.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:32 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Hey Clown - everything you need you can purchase new if you choose.
NA expansion tank,
NA upper hose,
wp block off,

then just remove the electric pump and plumbing and you are set.

Jason at paragon had all parts on hand when I ordered a few years ago.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this, it will work.
https://rennlist.com/forums/5517052-post6.html
Old 02-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks guys I am trying to trim my budget a little and was wondering if anyone had any custom kits they made. I just stopped at Auto Zone and picked up an assortment of rubber caps. I plan to use a smaller one on the turbo thermostat nipple and a larger one on the exspansion tank nipple. I also picked up 6 ft of radiator hose to run from exspansion tank to upper left port on radiator. I will let you know how it all works.

Brian I looked up that part and I see it only has one pipe what about the other pipe that comes off the factory timer sensor. Mine came out of the left side of turbo and had a y shape with two hoses.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That right, one pipe. I used a temp sensor attached to the pipe to run the turbo water pump. You can leave it off (it will still run 30 sec after you shut off the car) or run it with a switch inside the car.

Quick Reply: DRY TURBO CONVERSION HELP