Wastegate spring...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 01:55 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wastegate spring...

I keep reading about the wastegate sring and how they wear out and weaken over time- makes sense- can I buy a NEW one or would I have to get a whole new wastegate? Anyone have a part # and possible price (if it can be bought seperately)?

Thanks....
Old 08-20-2002, 09:34 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to buy the whole unit.No spring available separetly.This means of course spending some $$$$.Get a Lindsey or SFR unit if you will have a simple installation.

Olli
'88 951
Old 08-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would at least test your existing wastegate to determine its condition. Get a vacuum tester and pump up the wastegate and figure how much pressure it takes before you can blow through the wastegate. It should be around 5-7psi. If it's less, your spring has weakened.

Then the next step is just to shim the wastegate:

Simpler method than a stack of washers is to get bicycle chainring spacers in 4mm thickness and use those. This should bring the opening-pressure of the wastegate up to 7-9psi and would help resist being forced open by exhaust-pressure. Make sure you turn DOWN the boost with your boost-controller as well or else you'll overboost on your first run!

Quick Reply: Wastegate spring...