Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE EXPLANATION WANTED

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE EXPLANATION WANTED

Well I installed my Oil Cooler last night one of the many steps in putting my engine back together before it goes back into the car. I have to admit I got a little scared when I read that a special tool was created to help install the Oil Pressure relief valve.

Could someone explain what could go wrong or why there is a special tool?

It appears that you just put the valve into the hole?? I must be missing something huge here and now fear that I did something wrong.

I just lined up the valve with the hole and placed the whole oil cooler unit with the valve allready installed against the block. Everything seemed to go right in place. I then bolted it down which was quite easy.

I have a one peice OPRV could I really screw anything up? I would rather fix it now then later when the engine is in the car.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clown
Well I installed my Oil Cooler last night one of the many steps in putting my engine back together before it goes back into the car. I have to admit I got a little scared when I read that a special tool was created to help install the Oil Pressure relief valve.

Could someone explain what could go wrong or why there is a special tool?

It appears that you just put the valve into the hole?? I must be missing something huge here and now fear that I did something wrong.

I just lined up the valve with the hole and placed the whole oil cooler unit with the valve allready installed against the block. Everything seemed to go right in place. I then bolted it down which was quite easy.

I have a one peice OPRV could I really screw anything up? I would rather fix it now then later when the engine is in the car.
As long as the valve can easily be removed after the housing is torqued down you are fine... tool is there to ensure the housing is aligned properly when it is torqued down...

try to remove the valve, if it is difficult loosen the housing bolts and try again.. it should be a slip fit once the housing is torqued!

If the valve is easy to remove, with the housing torqued.. you did fine... continue as you were....
Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

It is more important to use the tool if you are sticking with the original syle 3 piece pressure relief valve. The updated one has the valve inside of a housing. I used the tool to put the new one in, but lots of people seem to do OK by using the method described.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the tool, but have never used it... YMMV
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by quinnfiske
It is more important to use the tool if you are sticking with the original syle 3 piece pressure relief valve. The updated one has the valve inside of a housing. I used the tool to put the new one in, but lots of people seem to do OK by using the method described.
I always wondered if Porsche would have even made the tool if they started with the one-piece OPRV and never had that 3-part unit that relied on he housing/block to act as its sleeve....
Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Removed and replaced 1 piece several times as described above without problem.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

In case anyone is curious, the tool from Porsche is $400, and from Paragon it is only $40. Price from the dealer is from Parkplace Porsche in the DFW area. The part I bought from Paragon had the Porsche P logo and the tool number...Hmm...

Quick Reply: OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE EXPLANATION WANTED