Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wheel Spacers

Who has an 86 and has used wheel spacers with the stock phone dials?
What size did you use? Pics?
Where did you get them?
Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
P. Ortiz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added rear wheel spacers to my 944 Turbo. I have the Fuchs alloys but they are sized just like your phone dials. After much consideration I decided to use 15mm bolt-on spacers. In my case I used Techart brand but Vertex also makes them and include the steel lug nuts. The overall look is exactly what I wanted. The spacers evened the front/reat track nicely, left the front offset intact, filled the rear wheel well much better and don't make it look like I'm trying to get a wide look from too-narrow wheels. It would take a trained eye to even notice, other than the fuller appearance.

When car manufacturers (even Porsche) build sports cars for road use, some compromises have to be made. As I understand it, the 951 rear wheels were tucked-in to accomodate the potential use of snow chains. Since most of us don't use our cars that way, I see the rear spacers as bringing the car back to its intended appearance. Looking at the result of my 15mm increased spacing, I wouldn't do any less in size: maybe a couple of mm more, but not less.

I'll try to get some pictures but it might be a day or so. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Doyle623
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I also have an '86 and was thinking about adding spacers to stock phone dials. Is 15 mm the farthest I can go out?

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers